cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache - when does it start building?

AnthonyBell
Level 3
Simple question:  When exactly does the Vault Cache actually start building?

Like most customers, we have a situation where we have LOTS of users with LOTS of email already in their Outlook cache (OST file).
When I enable these users in EVault and activate Vault Cache (on the back-end, via policy), *when* exactly will the EV cache start building on the client side?

My gut feel is "when the user first launched Outlook *after* Vault Cache has been enabled for her".
... but what if we're trying to save some bandwidth and end-user aggravation? We would like to tell all end-users to leave their PC's running *while logged into Outlook* (say, over the weekend) in an attempt to let Vault Cache build the file while the user's away.

Is this crazy-talk, or can it be done?  :)

Thanks in advance,

- Tony

5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Tony

Unfortunately, this can't be done, as EV reads its configuration while starting Outlook, and then does it's magic. I don't think EV starts populating VC when you enable it and Outlook is NOT restartet.

For your bandwith concerns...
In the VAC, go to:

Enterprise Vault Servers

then right click on a Server -> Properties and navigate to "Cache"
You can set there how many Vault Cache's that can update simultaneously.

Would that work, too?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Agree with Michael

Vault Cache is designed for laptops and for users who go offline and online fequently. So it will not update straight from the starting blocks. Take the machine offline and restart outlook access some items, just behave normally and the next time you come online to the LAN it should start downloading depending on your configuration, how long you wait after outlook starts for the VC download to start etc. You can also configure it to give progress popups or download reminders which may help with the initial custimisation of the facility instead of hiding all of it and hoping it works by magic :)

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
hi Guy and Michael,
what is the effects of cache location and cache size to mailbox archiving?
cache location will be local disc like this:c:\cache
what about the cache size recommended value? 1000 mb, 2000 mb?
defining cache location and size increase the system performance?
thanks... 

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

I believe EV does "construct" the Vault Caches for the amount of users selected as a PST File on the cache location.
You can estimate the size by:

- Average Size of Vault Cache (2-3 GB?)
- Multiplied by Concurrent Vault Cache rebuilds (10-20?)

= 20 - 60 GB

I believe this does not have to be really fast disk.

Regards
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 thanks Michael,
cache location and cache size is works on EV 2007 ?in mailbox archiving without celerra?
are there anyone set this values to own systems?
thanks...