cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault instalation

epsone
Level 4

Good Day ,

I m in the way to install Vault in my envirenement to archiving  for exchange 2010 SP3 my question is about space on storage

I have 100 mailbox each mailbox can have 10 Go of emails per year so how many space I need ( for one year I need 10 TO ), f I understand well Vault compress the Data so for 5 years how many space in the storage I need more or less ?

I will be thankful if you can advise me .

Regards

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sorry but not entirely clear on your details.  Are you saying that each mailbox has 10 GB of data in it?  If that is true then you are looking about 1 TB to just take care of that.

To give any remotely accurate number we would need to know how much mail you get per day per user.

You will not only need disk space for the Vault Store Partitons but also for the indexes.

View solution in original post

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would strongly recommend training for the EV administrator.  EV is not simple and a complete understanding of how it stores the data and the various data containers is necessary.  Even with only 100 users you need a working knowledge of how it all works.  PST migration is a totally separate situation and should be planned after the initial implementation of EV.  Mostly you'll just need to add storage capacity for the Vault Store(s) and Indexes.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

again this seems more like something a consultant should be able to provide you with after reviewing your system, environment, and requirements. There are a lot of variables involved that would be very hard to go through on a forum post. Please feel free to talk with your symantec rep if you dont work with a partner currently.

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

Sorry but not entirely clear on your details.  Are you saying that each mailbox has 10 GB of data in it?  If that is true then you are looking about 1 TB to just take care of that.

To give any remotely accurate number we would need to know how much mail you get per day per user.

You will not only need disk space for the Vault Store Partitons but also for the indexes.

AndrewB

EV has a lot of complex moving parts and many considerations to be made during the design phase that cannot be backed out once configured. it is generally recommended to work with an experienced partner for these reasons and others.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Rough calculations based on the 10GB per year for 100 users and storage for 5 years using standard compression and single-instance-storage (SIS) estimates.

Vault Stores ~2TB

Indexes ~700GB

SQL - ~40GB

When you build out your server you'll also need transitive storage for Cache and Storage Queue.

GertjanA

And don't forget PST files

Regards. Gertjan

epsone
Level 4

You said PST files , The 2TB is for PST no ?

Regards

GertjanA

Hello epsone,

No, the 2TB Witsend mentioned is for your current mailboxes only.

When importing PST files, you can safely assume that the size in EV will be approximately 60% of the size of the PST's. You then also need 15% of that 60% space for the indexes.

I also recommend to work with a partner. They have tools available to examine your Exchange environment, and give you a thorough estimate of the amount of servers needed, and what storage you need for an x-period of years. Yes, you will have to pay them, but this will prevent you from needing to redo config/setup after a year.

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would strongly recommend training for the EV administrator.  EV is not simple and a complete understanding of how it stores the data and the various data containers is necessary.  Even with only 100 users you need a working knowledge of how it all works.  PST migration is a totally separate situation and should be planned after the initial implementation of EV.  Mostly you'll just need to add storage capacity for the Vault Store(s) and Indexes.

AndrewB

again this seems more like something a consultant should be able to provide you with after reviewing your system, environment, and requirements. There are a lot of variables involved that would be very hard to go through on a forum post. Please feel free to talk with your symantec rep if you dont work with a partner currently.