cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Vault - Drafts Folder & Reading Pane

BravoZulu
Level 5

Hello All,

I have a small issue with Virtual Vault that is driving my users (and me) mental.  I have logged a call with Support already, but it's going nowhere as they can't reproduce what i'm seeing, so I wanted to ask if anyone else on this forum can see what I see?

All users have Virtual Vault, and everything is archived with no shortcuts after 60 days, including their Drafts folder.   Everything works in terms of reading items, apart from items in the Drafts folder (within Virtual Vault).  

PROBLEM: If I have the Reading Pane on (i.e. View > Reading Pane > Bottom) and the setting "Show Content in Reading Pane" set to "Never" in the Desktop policy (i.e. Advanced tab > Virtual Vault > ) I am UNABLE to open any item within the Drafts folder.   Any other mail item in any other folder within Virtual Vault WILL OPEN fine.  I can click on the link "Click here to view the original item" on the banner and the mail item will be retrieved, but if it's in the Drafts folder that does not work, I recieve an error (see screebshot below).  The workaround is to either turn off the Reading Pane for the Drafts folder in Virtual Vault or to change the Desktop Policy option "Show Content in Reading Pane" to "Always show content" (but that increases LAN traffic as everyone has their Reading Pane on).   Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thanks,
BZ

Note:  Server: Win2k3 Ent Ed R2 SP2 x64Bit (MSCS) and EV8 SP4 (+ server and client Hotfixes) Client: WinXP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Must be something environmental as I have 2 items in my VV drafts folder 1 of which was never sent and one of which was) and I do not get your error. I see the expected banner stating:- An administrative policy prevents you from viewing this item in the Reading Pane.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
but what is the error?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

BravoZulu
Level 5
Just to highlight the issue;

If "Show Content in Reading Pane" is set to "Never" in the Desktop policy and I have the Reading Pane ON in Outlook (VV) then I can't open any Draft items via Virtual Vault.  Looks like a BUG to me, just need to confirm.. 

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
you may want to run procmon against it and find out what exactly is happening (for instance its suggeting it may be a registty issue) have you tried the OOM Display registry key per chance? HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \KVS \Enterprise Vault \Client Type : DWORD Name : DisplayItemsUsingOOM Value: 1 There are however Microsoft articles suggesting that it could be because your mail profile is damaged, which would make a certain amount of sense considering you're saying support cannot replicate the issue
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

BravoZulu
Level 5
Thank you for the response JW.

I haven't tried OOM, but will give it a go.

Note, this is for all users, so a corrupt profile would be odd, but support are suggesting this is "environmental", so something may be affecting us.  I think I just need to fire up my lab at home and test there on a fresh install to compare things.

PS; If I change the option "Show Content in Reading Pane" to "Always show content" it works fine.  The client trace shows issues with MAPI values not being assigned, so looks like a bug to me. 

BravoZulu
Level 5
Setting the registry value DisplayItemsUsingOOM to 1 has not worked for this issue.

If I turn the Reading Pane Off for Drafts in VV it all works great,  turn on the Reading Pane and I get that error message.. 

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Does this reproduce in a lab environment?
Does a client trace give any clues?
Is there a case open with Support?
Working for cloudficient.com

BravoZulu
Level 5
Does this reproduce in a lab environment? Yes

Does a client trace give any clues? Lots and lots of these MAPI errors;
UNKNOWN(0x0064000A), PT_ERROR, MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND

Is there a case open with Support?  There have been two cases open with support but both have now been closed.   It's difficult for Symantec support as they would like us to do certain things in our lab that we simply can't do (which I won't go into here).  

I think I need to sort out my lab at home and then I know for certain whether it's environmental or not.  I just thought someone else on here may have come across it.

Thanks,
BZ

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Must be something environmental as I have 2 items in my VV drafts folder 1 of which was never sent and one of which was) and I do not get your error. I see the expected banner stating:- An administrative policy prevents you from viewing this item in the Reading Pane.

BravoZulu
Level 5

Thank you Paul.