Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is benefit if using conversion some items Type in EV

Ahmed_Mostafa_H
Level 4
Partner Accredited

i am using EV Version: 10.0.4.1293 

I am using EV server To archive and migrate PST only  that located in user client harddisk 

I need to know the advantage and disadvantage for conversion some item types of To HTML and Text

what i will gain and what i will loses if i used HTML ot Text 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It's really just formatting that gets messed up when you look through search.asp So you might see a nicely formatted fonversion of a word doc, but in text, you'll lose the fonts and formatting, tables, font color etc Though that's purely for the preview only The original items will remain unchanged If the items can't be converted at all then the content can't be added to the index, only the metadata For instance if you have an ISO file, the name, size, create date etc properties will be indexed and searchable, but because it can't be converted the contents can't be searched Which is why you have to be careful because you see some people tell you to bypass conversion for PDF files for performance gains, but that means that the contents of PDF's are no longer discoverable
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
It's really just formatting that gets messed up when you look through search.asp So you might see a nicely formatted fonversion of a word doc, but in text, you'll lose the fonts and formatting, tables, font color etc Though that's purely for the preview only The original items will remain unchanged If the items can't be converted at all then the content can't be added to the index, only the metadata For instance if you have an ISO file, the name, size, create date etc properties will be indexed and searchable, but because it can't be converted the contents can't be searched Which is why you have to be careful because you see some people tell you to bypass conversion for PDF files for performance gains, but that means that the contents of PDF's are no longer discoverable
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Ahmed_Mostafa_H
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear JesusWept3

Does the Conversion affect the Index of the content like attahemnt or mail body

becasue I try to Convert the ConvertWordToText =0 to Convert the Doc to Text 

when i try to Serach inside the attahment no ruslt appear but it appear if  make ConvertWordToText =1 and then archived items 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, the conversion does not affect the indexing of the attachments. There are some caveats such as this TN:

Enterprise Vault fails to search header and footer information in a Microsoft Word document archived as a mail attachment and has been converted to HTML

Article:TECH57032  |  Created: 2008-01-24  |  Updated: 2013-06-19  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57032