cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's in a DVS file

Alan_M
Level 6
I understand that the DVS file contains a compressed copy of the original archived item and approx. 5 Kb of meta data. Is this correct?

What does the metadata consist of?
11 REPLIES 11

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Nue,
A dvs consists of the original msg, and the HTML raster of the message (or attachment). All the metadata about the dvs file is stored in SQL.

micah

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You are correct, the dvs does contain the original archived item and metadata - though the metadata size depends on a number of things including SIS - you can sometimes find that the metadata is larger than the message itself.

what's inside it - and yes i should know this off the top of my head - inlcudes per user information, index data and some other bits and pieces - I can check this out tomorrow if you really need to know.

Alan_M
Level 6
John

I would be interested in hearing about the metadata that is stored in a DVS file. Looking at Micah's earlier post I am little confused. So far we have the DVS contains the original message, an HTML/Text raster of the message body and possibly the attachment and possibly some metadata.

Micah, can you add anything?

Thanks,

> You are correct, the dvs does contain the original
> archived item and metadata - though the metadata size
> depends on a number of things including SIS - you can
> sometimes find that the metadata is larger than the
> message itself.
>
> what's inside it - and yes i should know this off the
> top of my head - inlcudes per user information, index
> data and some other bits and pieces - I can check
> this out tomorrow if you really need to know.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What's in a DVS, just had a quick look at one now.

- Archived item - this is the message in compressed format HTML or text, and some MAPI elements of the message
- Indexable metadata and items - this is the short details of what is indexed
- Per user information - transaction id, vault id, number of sharers of the dvs(for SIS).
- Custom metadata if any.

Thats about it.

Scott_Anderso1
Level 4
What program are you using to view the DVS file?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
yeah,
I'm sorta interested in knowing that too.

micah

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
It's an internal utility called dvsspy - very handy in some situations.

Scott_Anderso1
Level 4
Thanks, that is good to know. Do you think there's any chance of getting ahold of a copy if I call Support?

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Or any chance of a copy *cough* falling off a bus *cough* ? :)

micah

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I don't know which way to answer this one - it is internal - not really my call to make :|

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

No you cannot have a copy. You have to remember we have competitors and we have to weight up the sharing of information of how our product works with our customers against how such information can be used against us (even if in a mis-interpreted way)