Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

domain change Of Evserver

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Customer company domain name changed.

All of the Domain, AD, exchange will be migrate to the new implemented ones .

How can I change EV domain name to new one?

What will be the operation steps and risks?

For example in HW chage there is a tool like HW migration wizard.But for this operation there is no article,TN or tool.

After join to the new domain what is the sql tables changes?wgich tables should be update manually?(computeralternate name,site enty?......)

What will be the old shortcuts? there are 1000 users and 4 years backlog archived mails.All of them willbe recreated?(shortcut recreation option).Also this operation with registry key ,i couldnt see the status of all shortcuts how cxan i understand all of the users recreation completed or not? also how many days will be continue?

Please, who done smilar project like this give the all of the steps,also  real experience.

thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
That's the thing though, I dont tho I many people *can* do this type of change Because it all depends on how you are doing the domain change Are you migrating users across from one domain to the other? Are you retaining he sid history's? Exchange servers are all changing as well right are you migrating users and will they change their legacymbxdn and exchange GUID? Will you end up with multiple archives? Do you journal, use Discovery accelerator or compliance accelerator? Do you do any custom tagging? Will smtp addresses internally and externally change? What is the site alias for the EV site? Is it the old style netbios or the new style FQDN? If you have an FQDN like evsite.mycompany.com, you will need those Aliases to remain in DNS You need to make sure that your SQL servers have the proper logins and rights Anagement for your new evadmin, you need to make sure that it has the correct server principle names applied, you need to make sure the new evadmin user has the correct permissions applied across all the servers and DCOM objects You may have to reconfigure roles based administration and provisioning, look at your GC overrides if any exist or DS Server keys if any are set and you have to make sure that you're not having any overly restrictive GPO's placed Then you have issues around any PST migrations that maybe in progress also And you will have to reconfigure your owauser as well for the new evadmin account, get any new ip addresses for exchange servers added to the allow list of the evanon directory and depending on your version of exchange you may have to change the proxy bypass list Lon long long long list. Only thing I can suggest is if you can't get a partner to help then get a test lab and test as much as you can
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Personally if everything's changing then I would suggest calling Symantec or a partner such as Trace3 to help as projects like that are often complex and you have a lot of things to consider where I just don't think the forums are appropriate

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

documents and articles may prepare,because this is known and everyone can do this type of project.

If Anyone done this operation before and share his experience i will be happy.

thanks...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

These Technotes might help you in this activity

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48722  How to rename an Enterprise Vault (EV) Server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48928

How to migrate users from one Exchange server to another.

JesusWept3
Level 6
That's the thing though, I dont tho I many people *can* do this type of change Because it all depends on how you are doing the domain change Are you migrating users across from one domain to the other? Are you retaining he sid history's? Exchange servers are all changing as well right are you migrating users and will they change their legacymbxdn and exchange GUID? Will you end up with multiple archives? Do you journal, use Discovery accelerator or compliance accelerator? Do you do any custom tagging? Will smtp addresses internally and externally change? What is the site alias for the EV site? Is it the old style netbios or the new style FQDN? If you have an FQDN like evsite.mycompany.com, you will need those Aliases to remain in DNS You need to make sure that your SQL servers have the proper logins and rights Anagement for your new evadmin, you need to make sure that it has the correct server principle names applied, you need to make sure the new evadmin user has the correct permissions applied across all the servers and DCOM objects You may have to reconfigure roles based administration and provisioning, look at your GC overrides if any exist or DS Server keys if any are set and you have to make sure that you're not having any overly restrictive GPO's placed Then you have issues around any PST migrations that maybe in progress also And you will have to reconfigure your owauser as well for the new evadmin account, get any new ip addresses for exchange servers added to the allow list of the evanon directory and depending on your version of exchange you may have to change the proxy bypass list Lon long long long list. Only thing I can suggest is if you can't get a partner to help then get a test lab and test as much as you can

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks for answers firstly;

I can apply This TN for domain change also?(because this TN is just changing ev rename)

I think steps will smilar to new domain change.It should work.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48722

Yes i will also join sql server to new domain in same time.I will create new VSA i will give permissions,for owa,new exchange etc..

But what will be the old shortcuts finally?1000 users 5 year archived data shortcuts   will be regenerated?

so 1000 users old shortcuts couldnt accesible in some days?(this is not monitored process and slow operation,i remember from certificate change.)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47364

Anyone do this operation before?because written format and real is different issues...

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

K.G.

I think you have answered your own question.

"because written format and real is different issues"

Each environment is unique and although there are some general steps, that might help you in your solution. I would say the chances of you having to envolve professional services at some stage are pretty high. From experience you are better of engaging someone who will provide the best chance of succeding, rather than engaging them half way through when you realise 1000 users can't access 5 years worth of data and having to get a prof services person in anyway to try and correct the issue.

Or as JW says at very least get a full working lab with 2 domains and EV running with clients and bash away at that, but it really depends on your companies timescale.

Just my opinion.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I know, i have also many senario in my mind,i done smillar operations also.

I just ask, are there anyone do this operation before?

But noone answered so,ok i will try in my test environment.

(as you know working with production and big data gives exact times and results, i can see shortcut update time and result in my test environment in smaller data but this will be just example that is why i created this topic and asked are there anyone have a real issue like my question  )

thanks...