Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message with attachement not opened in Outlook 2007

Paul_Visser
Level 3
Partner
Hello,
I have installed EV2007sp1, on the client site we use outlook 2007 (NL)
Archiving is working. When i open an item without an attachment, it is opened. If i open an item
with an attachement i get an error: can not open archived item.

I did a trace, the .msg file is donwloaded, but as soon as i want to open this .msg file, i get the error:
Access is denied...etc (it's a message in dutch, so translating is hard).

So in short, the is downloaded by the EV system, but Outlook wil not open it.
There is no virusscanner running.

All other functionlatity is working, also in OWA. (like archive explorere, vault search)

Regards,
Paul Visser

9 REPLIES 9

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Can you restore the item from the search to the mailbox then open the item?

I would like to know if the problem is with Outlook, EV, or both.

Jim S.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Paul

So you have set the Download type to MSG?
Could you try with DVS?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paul_Visser
Level 3
Partner
I am able to restore the file from search, searcho2k and Archive Explorer(ui), and i'm able to open the message and the attachment.
I can open de DVS from the EV server itself.

Also i have tried to set the download to msg, that didn't help. I get the same error.

Paul Visser

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
So the message can be opened once restored through other means. At lest a workaround is present.

Give the user local admin right to the box if they do not have these rights. Logout then log back in once these rights have been granted just for good practice.

Also,

Try this test on a separate box to see if the error is a consistent one.

Jim S.

Paul_Visser
Level 3
Partner
The problem is consistent, it's on every workstation.
The workaround is not apresiated by the client, but the problem is not a showstopper at this time.

I'm bilding a test environment at this moment, so testing have to wait till it's finished. The admin rights i can try tomorrow, when i'm back at the client.

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Paul,

Sounds good.

One more thing you could do in your test environment, after all else has failed of course, is to vault enable the VaultAdmin account (System account) and see what happens. You may need to give this account local admin on the workstation.

If there is a rights issue then this may show it. If not, then rights may not be the place to look.

Also,

Did your access denied come from the EV client trace? If not, then lets do a client trace in verbose mode.

Jim S.

Paul_Visser
Level 3
Partner
I forgot to tell that the error also exist when i use the EVservice account.
The access denied error comes from Outlook/microsoft.
I found the url in the trace (EVclient trace option 4) donwloaded that message via this url (by copying and past it into the IE browser). The download is successfull. When i then open the downloaded .msg the error pops-up.

In my opinion, the rights to and from the EV vault server is correct. I think the problem is on the client station.
correct me if i'm totaly wrong :)

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Paul

Would be interesting to see if other .msg files can be opened.
Could you try to compose a new E-Mail and save it as .msg file, and then open it again?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Paul_Visser
Level 3
Partner
I can open every message as long as it doesn't contain a attachment.
I have sent 2 new messages, 1 with and 1 without a attchement. Archived them, and tried to open them.
The message without the attachment openend, the message with the attachment is denied

Paul Visser