cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no mailboxes ev 901

shampoo
Level 3

every other day or so I keep loosing my EV extention on our mailboxes. When I choose synchronize in tasks I can see them. But run task does not contain mailboxes. I do see them in the configuration. The only fix is Enable Mailboxes (even if they exist) and selecting the mailboxes from exchange. What could be wrong?

ev 9.01, exchange 2003

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Your EV 6.0 site still thinks it's managing the mailboxes and it it sees a mailbox in a different site will reset it. 

Your best option is to disable the Provisioning and Archiving tasks in your EV 6.0 environment and get any remaining users migrated as soon as possible.

If you've turned off the archiving schedule you can disable synchronization also (not through the UI) by editing the database. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48973.

Regards

Karl

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are you running anything like EVPM on a windows scheduler? the only way that could be possible is if you are zapping the mailboxes each night

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

shampoo
Level 3

Nope, nothing via the windows scheduler. My plugins were zapped this afternoon. Manual starting the provisioning task returned my owa plugins again.

I only re-enabled 2 of the 5 mailboxes this morning. (just in testing phase for now... too scared to go to production) And could run the mailbox archiving task ofr these 2 only. But all of the suddon this evening all 5 mailboxes were visible for running the archiving task.

weird things happen here. indecision

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There definitely needs to be more investigation because really the only way for a mailbox that has previoulsy been enabled to show as a new mailbox is if it had been zapped which removes the hidden message in the mailbox (which would explain why you don't see the OWA buttons) it also sets the mailbox to be a new mailbox to archive The only other thing is the archi es I suppose could be disabled If this happens again, try checking out the provisioning reports for these users and make sure hey are correct and that users aren't being disabled due to not meeting provisioning criteria Usually these users will be at the bottom of he report where it says the following mailboxes were enabled but don't have a provisioning group assigned to them
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

shampoo
Level 3

Yesterday at around 11:30 am everyhting worked fine. At 8 pm all was gone.

Exchange Mailbox archiving task has no mailboxes. Synchronize does see the mailboxes. Under Archives the mailboxes are to be seen as well with status available.

I clicked on Mailbox Management Enable Mailbox Wizard and all these mailboxes have the status new. When selecting one i do have Archive already exists at Vaultstore and Indexing service. But after enabling I do have the buttons back and the vault is working again for that user.

Between 11:30 am and 8 were no backups. Only eventid 3197 @ about 12:00 (information) Starting synchronization run of all mailboxes on Exchange server. @3:26 pm event id 4213 (information) license check.. all valid. @6pm event id 3156 Start to process the Exchange System...

Perhaps @ 6 it got zapped. Where could i dig up more information?

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Have you considered the mailbox being over it's sent/recieve quota.  I know there is an issue where the extensions don't load for these mailboxes as during the synchronization it removes the settings message from the mailbox and cannot re-write it.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH7227

Regards

Karl

shampoo
Level 3

Thanks, I haven't considered that. The symptons look the same. But if I look further into it it cannot be that problem. 

However, users are still able to retrieve and open their existing archived mail items without any problems

I get Archive is not availble warnings... with Reason: Unable to determine a web app url for vault access
or Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Only one box has reached its quota limit. And the action is warn only. The rest of the 5 boxes do not reach the limit. I even disbled all limits on one mailbox in exchange.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have any processes that run against your mailboxes in Exchange?

Are you the only EV Admin?  Could some one else be running EVPM without your knowledge?

Can you check the registry for and see if you have anything here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\CMDLINETOOL

if 64 bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\CMDLINETOOL

shampoo
Level 3

Processes that run against our mailboxes are the old Enterprise Vault 6 (we're in the midst of a migration by export import pst) And perhaps dataprotector for mailbackups. Yesterday between 11 am and 8 pm no backups were active.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\CMDLINETOOL

Found 2 stringvalues:

mailbox REG_SZ testaccount06

Server REG_SZ mailserver

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

So are you running two EV installations against the same set of Exchange servers?  If so you'll have a problem in that each EV install will try and synchronize the mailbox.  Therefore when the old EV 6 process runs it will reset the mailbox and the new environment will see it as new and need re-enabling.

Do you still need the old EV 6.0 archiving tasks running - if you do to maintain archiving of users not yet migrated then you need to be careful with provisioning and possibly remove ExchangeMailboxEntry's for users that have migrated.

-Karl

shampoo
Level 3

We have one exchange server. So, yes 2 ev's. We are careful. EV9 users aren't configured for ev6 (anymore) EV6 does nothing with EV9 users and vice versa. Half of the testaccounts for EV9 have no EV6 history at all. They're made specificly for testing the new vault.

shampoo
Level 3

hmm it seems that EV6 does shake things up. I've disabled the site (it ran every day) schedule on EV6 and since then EV9 is working flawless.

The only exchange job should be an EV6 Mailbox Arching Task. Its targets are all mailenbled mailboxes. And the EV9 boxes do not show up in EV6 with a Run Now for selected mailboxes. Synchronize does however.

EV6 should not mail disable EV9 boxes this way. How could this be possible?

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Your EV 6.0 site still thinks it's managing the mailboxes and it it sees a mailbox in a different site will reset it. 

Your best option is to disable the Provisioning and Archiving tasks in your EV 6.0 environment and get any remaining users migrated as soon as possible.

If you've turned off the archiving schedule you can disable synchronization also (not through the UI) by editing the database. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48973.

Regards

Karl