cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pending shortcuts are not converting into shortcuts

five_elements
Level 2

i have enterprise vault 10 for exchange 2010. the shortcuts are still pending even after partition backup and sql server backup. in the vault store partition settings i have selected remove saftey copy after backup.

what i am doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So you need to put EV in backup mode before you run the backups.  There are powershell commands that can be ran to do this.  After the backup is complete, then EV is brought out of backup mode.

There is a section in the Administrators Guide about backups.  I recommend you give that a good read.

I believe that BE should be able to execute the backup scripts as part of the job so it will be automated for you, if not you will need to schedule tasks to execute them, or license the EV Backup Agent for BE.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

So you put EV in backup mode, backed up the Vault Store partition, and then took EV out of backup mode?

What is your storage device?  Are you using a Trigger file?

five_elements
Level 2

my backup device is tape drive and using symantec backup exec as an backup application.

i am not using trigger file but using archive bit.

i do not understand "you put EV in backup mode"- shall i do it manually? i thought when archive bit will be reset EV will know that data has been backed up and create shotcuts. am i wrong here?

TonySterling

So you need to put EV in backup mode before you run the backups.  There are powershell commands that can be ran to do this.  After the backup is complete, then EV is brought out of backup mode.

There is a section in the Administrators Guide about backups.  I recommend you give that a good read.

I believe that BE should be able to execute the backup scripts as part of the job so it will be automated for you, if not you will need to schedule tasks to execute them, or license the EV Backup Agent for BE.

ManishN
Level 4
Employee Accredited

There are two things you have to check if Remove Saftey Copies is set After Backup

a. Vault Store has been backed up.

b. Indexing for the archived items is completed.

If any one of the above things are not completed then you will see that the items are in pending state.

You can verify these details on your SQL server and run the following query against your vault store database.

select * from journalarchive

and check for column "IndexCommited" and "Backupcomplete"

If the vaule is 0 in any of the two column then your archived item will remain in pending state.

Note: I presume you have a single standalone EV server in your production.

TRALSH
Level 4
Employee

If you are using the EV Agent with Backup Exec, then there is no need for backup mode scripts.  The agent will go in and out of BU mode automatically.  Looking in the Job log you will see an entry when it goes in and out of BU mode.

If you create you jobs manually (not using the EV agent) then Tony is correct - you can add pre post job scripts.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Just an FYI , items not being indexed has to no bearing on whether an item is pending or not, only the backup completion would count
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Chris_Alleman
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello,

Also make sure that since you have set EV to check for the "Archive Bit" ensure that BackupExec is flipping this bit during the backup.  An easy way to tell is to simply go to a folder that you know has been backed up and check for the "A" attribute on the DVS files.  If it is still there you know the bit has not been flipped.

For a quick fix you can use the "attrib" command from a command prompt to manually set the archive bit on the DVS files.

1.) Open a command prompt and change directories to either your root of the vault store or a sub folder (year or month-day)

2.) Type "attrib -a *.* /s" and hit enter

3.) This make take some time depending on the amount of files in the folder, but once done it will return to the command prompt

4.) Set/Clear backup mode from the VAC

This will at least ensure that EV is working correctly, however I highly recommend opening a support case with the BE support team to resolve the issue of why it is not flipping the archive bits.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited