cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"CLOSE" button in Archive Explorer not working?

Brian_Day
Level 6
Does anyone else have trouble with the close button in the upper-right corner of Archive Explorer not working? Well, let me put it this way. We had AE opening inside of Outlook and the button was doing noting. We decided to change the policy to make AE open in a new IE window so users could use the normal 'X' button to close it out. I'd almost like to see a "Back to Outlook" button in there somewhere for our umm ahhhh errr.... 'not so proficient' users. :)

Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is the EV Server version and the EV Client version?

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Tony Sterling wrote:
What is the EV Server version and the EV Client version?

Both are EV 7.0 SP2

Client details;

Environment:
Enterprise Vault Client 7.0.2.2133.0 (Lite)
Microsoft Windows Vista Professional (Build 6000)
Microsoft Outlook 2007
[Exchange connection mode: Cached connected full (8)]
RPC over HTTP not enabled]
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16473

I just tested it with AE spawning in a new window and CLOSE doesn't do anything in that mode either. I'd understand if I got that annoying message from IE that says "This application is trying to close this window", but I that message doesn't even show up.

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
I've run into this sporadically as well and would love to know what triggers it. Maybe its just the icons but the client just has that wonderful Win3.1 feel too it, when it works (bout 60% of the time in our current deployment). I also wonder if it is related that this same clients had to run the resetEVclient to get the menu bar to show up/work to begin with.

Client:
WinXP w/Outlook 2003 IE6
EV 7.5.1250

Message Edited by Steve Mullenix on 08-08-200705:00 PM

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Steve Mullenix wrote:
I've run into this sporadically as well and would love to know what triggers it. Maybe its just the icons but the client just has that wonderful Win3.1 feel too it, when it works (bout 60% of the time in our current deployment). I also wonder if it is related that this same clients had to run the resetEVclient to get the menu bar to show up/work to begin with.

Client:
WinXP w/Outlook 2003 IE6
EV 7.5.1250

Message Edited by Steve Mullenix on 08-08-200705:00 PM

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Archive Explorer is nothing more than a webpage the client launches. Are you saying your whole AE webpage doesn't work? Mine works fine, except for the 'CLOSE' button.

Steve_Mullenix
Level 4
I apologize if my post was not clear. I am referring to the web-part and it works fine with the exception of the close button just like you. This occurs both in Outlook's web view and if I have it spawn its own IE window.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
With version 2K7, if you launch AE within Outlook the "close archive" button will work.  If you launch AE within a separate browser you will find that the button is no longer available.

Brian_Day
Level 6

@Maynard K wrote:
With version 2K7, if you launch AE within Outlook the "close archive" button will work.  If you launch AE within a separate browser you will find that the button is no longer available.

Ah ok! I thought I was losing my mind today after our 2K7 upgrade. I couldn't find the button anymore. :)

SlowFox
Level 3
Using EV 2007 and client outlook 2003 sp2 I still face the strange behaviour of the close button.

I do start the AE within outlook and the close button is not responding at all. Even worse after click'n the browser button "back" (task bar Web) the navigation pane is hidden.

Has anyone seen this strange effect before?

Greetings,
Harry

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
This has been fixed with the release of 2K7.  Are you using an outdated version of our extensions?

SlowFox
Level 3
Hello Maynard,

Thanks for the reply. I do use the release of 2K7 downloaded at the Symantec Site. with setup file version 11.50.42618. The help/about box displays Enterprise Vault 2007 version 7.5
The installer version of the Outlook Add-In is (thursday 21 juni 2007 5:07:28).

Beside the mentioned behavior, I also notice that I have to install the forms for all users seperately in stead of once per workstation. Any idea how to overcome this, especially as we use a citrix environment.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
I'm not all that seasoned with Citrix but are you publishing our forms via Exchange?

SlowFox
Level 3
We make no use of public folders to deploy/publish the forms.
Just installing the forms locally by use of the provide msi package.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Try this registry key which was introduced with the release of 7 SP2.

Installing Exchange forms [Ref 702014]

When a user starts Outlook, the Enterprise Vault User Extensions now determine whether the Enterprise Vault Exchange forms are installed or need updating, and can add or replace them if necessary.

This enhancement is required to enable Enterprise Vault to store forms in each user's Personal Forms Library in an Exchange 2007 environment when there is no Organizational Forms Library.

You can use the following registry key on the client computer to control the User Extensions' behavior:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
 \SOFTWARE
  \KVS
   \Enterprise Vault
    \Client
     \DeployFormsLocally

The possible DWORD values are:

0 – Never deploy forms locally
1 – (Default) Deploy forms only when there is no Organizational Forms Library available
2 – Always deploy forms locally
3 – Always delete Enterprise Vault forms from the user's Personal Forms Library

Sortid
Level 6
We are getting the same issue with the close button not working with Archive Explorer through Outlook.  We are running Exchange 2003, EV 2007 SP1, and addins version 2007 SP1.  Has there been any progess on this issue?

EVault2009
Not applicable

Found the fix for your issue, and better yet what causes it.

Apparently running reset EVClient is what breaks this function.

To fix run a regsrv32 valkyrie.dll and test again. worked for us apparently the EVClient reports it registers the valkyrie.dll but obviously not sucessfully

Archive_Andy
Level 3

Let me first say that this isn't a direct answer to your question about why AE's "close" button isn't working, but rather a justification for a (very) simple workaround.  As you already know, you can launch AE in a different window, but I'd go one step further and say you should

Granted, every organization is different, but I've always found that customers, particularly end-users, had a hard time finding that tiny "close" button, whereas opening a new browser window seems more intuitive.  Again, if the customer insists on staying within Outlook, so be it, but most of my customers end up actually preferring to launch a new IE window.

mkabir
Level 2

How can i open a new thread? or how can i post a question? i am new here and kind of lost. Need help....:(

SlowFox
Level 3

Thank You all for the comments and assistance.

As I am no longer on the project I have forwarded all your input towards my successor.

For as far I am informed the problem is solved. Unfortunately the way how is not clear to me.

Thank you all again,

With kind regards,

IanSee
Level 2
mkabir, to post a new thread, go to the page before this one that shows all the messages, and click the "New Message" button. Make sure that you're in the most appropriate forum so your question can be answered quickly.