cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonding NICs at initial configuration of 5230

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I am used to creating network bond's AFTER the initial config of a 52x0, but have two questions here:

1. When attached via a laptop (Nic1/Eth0) to conduct initial config can I create a bond at that point ?  Surely not as I would need to add an IP address to one of the other NICs, release the ip address from the NIC I am conected to (which will drop my connection will it not) and then create the bond including all 4 1GbE NICs.

I am guessing I have to add an IP address to NIC2/Eth1, then after the initial config has completed disconnect from the appliance, reconnect using the IP address of the NIC2, then create the bond to include all 4 NIC's.  This is the procedure I normally follow, but was wondering if I could shortcut the process.

2. On another point, can I add an interface to an already existing bond or do I need to unbond then re-bond ?

Thanks,

AJ

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hello again AJ,

What I normally do is:

1. setup IPMI onto network (I hate sitting in DC with loud fan noises).

2. configure eth0 (management IP for callhome etc

3. configure eth1 (for backup data) with the bonding IP address that you will use

3 bond eth1 - ethX

I'm not sure if it is still the same case but Symantec recommend that you don't bond eth0 with anything as it stops callhome working as bonding stops the MAC address being reported to Symantec callhome servers

And to your final question I believe you have to unbond/rebond.

Thanks

Dan

View solution in original post

phil_scarfo
Level 3
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

I usually configure a single nic (Primary IP) during config and bond add other interfaces or whatever afterwards as well.

If LACP is the bonding mode, this usually is not an option.

In these cases, I will configure the network and DNS via the CLISH. 
Then make sure the network is alive and well.  Ping, traceroute, ssh to somewhere else etc. 

Please complete your callhome registration at my.appliance.symantec.com before configuring the appliance.

Then run though the normal config via the WEBUI.

I personally do not use the CLISH to configure an appliance from beginning to end.  It's way too easy to miss something that way.  The WEBUI makes sure you configure pretty much everything.  Besides, the WEBUI is so much improved over 2.0.3 (and previous) that it makes no sense not to use it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hello again AJ,

What I normally do is:

1. setup IPMI onto network (I hate sitting in DC with loud fan noises).

2. configure eth0 (management IP for callhome etc

3. configure eth1 (for backup data) with the bonding IP address that you will use

3 bond eth1 - ethX

I'm not sure if it is still the same case but Symantec recommend that you don't bond eth0 with anything as it stops callhome working as bonding stops the MAC address being reported to Symantec callhome servers

And to your final question I believe you have to unbond/rebond.

Thanks

Dan

phil_scarfo
Level 3
Partner Employee Accredited Certified

I usually configure a single nic (Primary IP) during config and bond add other interfaces or whatever afterwards as well.

If LACP is the bonding mode, this usually is not an option.

In these cases, I will configure the network and DNS via the CLISH. 
Then make sure the network is alive and well.  Ping, traceroute, ssh to somewhere else etc. 

Please complete your callhome registration at my.appliance.symantec.com before configuring the appliance.

Then run though the normal config via the WEBUI.

I personally do not use the CLISH to configure an appliance from beginning to end.  It's way too easy to miss something that way.  The WEBUI makes sure you configure pretty much everything.  Besides, the WEBUI is so much improved over 2.0.3 (and previous) that it makes no sense not to use it.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the input guys.

I believe that since 2602 we are good to go with Eth0 for general use, as this is now supported.

I think I will proceed as normal.  Attach via laptop to Eth0, put an address on Eth1, complete all the remaining config, re-attach via the new IP address, unconfig Eth0 and then bond eth0-eth3 which will create the bond with the address on eth1.

AJ

Dangerous_Dan
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi AJ,

That seems ok except you need to make sure your IPMI is in working order from the start because unless you reimage the Appliance at the beginning to the latest Netbackup version, you will need to ensure the IPMI is working otherwise you are flying blind.

also if you have a KVM in you DC available then I find this very useful - especialy if your planning to configure eth0 in the bonding (bonding eth0 - eth3) because you wont need yourr laptop to be plugged in eth0 then. I have done these installs many times for Appliances with Symantec and this along with CLISH configuration is the best and fastest method as the web GUI can be very slow. As for missing steps for CLISH - if you follow the admin guide then you shouldn't miss a step as it is all in order of what to setup.

Thanks

Dan