cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDBoost over FC on 52xx appliances

CasparThorup
Level 3

Hey everyone,

Has anyone got any experience with configuring DDBoost for DataDomain on a 5230/5240 Appliance over fibre channel?

Our Data Domain is on a 3rd site which has a better SAN connectivity to the primary sites than IP, so I'm trying considering trying it. I haven't heard of anyone having used it, but can't imagine its not possible considering DDBoost over FC is support on the Linux media server. 

Caspar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

One of ex-colleagues assisted a customer recently to config DDboost over FC on new 5240's.
This is working great to backup VMware over SAN.

It is necessary to work closely with the EMC/DD admin to config this.

Everything in the EMC/DELL docs applies to Apliances in the same manner as regular media servers.

DELL/EMC Documents that were used: 
EMC® Data Domain Boost for OpenStorage Version 3.0 Administration Guide (there could be newer docs on their website)
EMC Data Domain Boost for Symantec NetBackup OpenStorage Best Practices Planning

Search for 'Fibre Channel' and 'DD Boost-over-FC'. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

One of ex-colleagues assisted a customer recently to config DDboost over FC on new 5240's.
This is working great to backup VMware over SAN.

It is necessary to work closely with the EMC/DD admin to config this.

Everything in the EMC/DELL docs applies to Apliances in the same manner as regular media servers.

DELL/EMC Documents that were used: 
EMC® Data Domain Boost for OpenStorage Version 3.0 Administration Guide (there could be newer docs on their website)
EMC Data Domain Boost for Symantec NetBackup OpenStorage Best Practices Planning

Search for 'Fibre Channel' and 'DD Boost-over-FC'. 

Thanks Marianne, 

I'll dive into it then. 

Caspar

Got it working. Quick note, it was neccesary for me to restart the appliance for it to recogninze the remote ports as a DataDomain DFC type device.

After the zoning was done, the DataDomain ports showed up as remote ports on Manage -> Fibre Channel -> Show:

**** Ports ****
Bus ID Slot Port Port WWN Status Physical State Configuration Type Speed Remote Ports
81:00.0 Slot4 1 21:00:00:24:FF:4B:D1:20 Online Initiator Initiator 8 gbit/s 0x5002188136612df2
81:00.1 Slot4 2 21:00:00:24:FF:4B:D1:21 Online Initiator Initiator 8 gbit/s 0x5002188136602df2

But it wasn't until a reboot that they also appeared below in the Devices section:

**** Devices ****
Device Vendor ID Type Remote Port
/dev/sg6 EMC DataDomain DFC 0x5002188136612df2
/dev/sg7 EMC DataDomain DFC 0x5002188136602df2

Caspar