cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 5220 - master and media server in a single appliance?

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Can you configure a master and media server in a single appliance?

How do I do it? I already configured a master server. 

Thanks. :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A:  Yes.  A master server always already contains the binaries to be able to perform as a media server.  Whether you choose to configure the master to function as a media server is up to you.  If you do configure a master server to perform as a media server, then... technically it ceases to be a pure "master server" and in fact becomes what we refer to as a "master/media server".  You may have already seen some of us express, or refer to, servers using this term.

When you say "I already configured a master server."...

...do you mean:

1) You already configured a separate master server on another server (or applianace)?  And thus want to add a new (uncofigured) appliance as a media server?  Then yes, you can do this.

...or:

2) You already configured a separate master server on another server (or appliance)? And you already configured the new appliance also as a master server?  And want to add this second master server as a media server to the first master server?  Then, no, you cannot do this.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

If you configured it as a master server then it was also automatically configured as a media server as well. Whether or not this is a good design depends on the load that the unit will be managing.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

A:  Yes.  A master server always already contains the binaries to be able to perform as a media server.  Whether you choose to configure the master to function as a media server is up to you.  If you do configure a master server to perform as a media server, then... technically it ceases to be a pure "master server" and in fact becomes what we refer to as a "master/media server".  You may have already seen some of us express, or refer to, servers using this term.

When you say "I already configured a master server."...

...do you mean:

1) You already configured a separate master server on another server (or applianace)?  And thus want to add a new (uncofigured) appliance as a media server?  Then yes, you can do this.

...or:

2) You already configured a separate master server on another server (or appliance)? And you already configured the new appliance also as a master server?  And want to add this second master server as a media server to the first master server?  Then, no, you cannot do this.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need more info about what exactly you have currently....

Not sure how to interpret the following:

I already configured a master server. 

If you have a current master server in place and you want to replace it with the Appliance as a single master/media server, you will need a Symantec Consulting Partner to merge the master with Appliance master.

If Appliance is currently configured as a media server, you cannot convert it to a master/media without re-imaging it (start from scratch).

nbuengr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thank you for all your help!