cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU appliance upgrade and catalog

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my customer has one NBU 5230 appliance which is currently running on 2.5.3 and it is configured as a master server. There are some clients which are backed up to this appliance's dedup pool. All clients are Windows clients (NBU 7.5.0.6 client). Recently they want to upgrade this appliance to 2.6.0.3. My question is:

Will the catalog in the appliance automatically upgraded during the upgrade from 2.5.3 to 2.6.0.3? If no, what addtional steps shall we do to convert the catalog? If yes, if the catalog is corrupted during the upgrade, how to restore the appliance back to its original state?

Thanks in advance.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Catalog upgrade ? I think you mean the dedup conversion process? It starts on it's own after the upgrade and it can take a very long time to complete. If something fails it will produce output and a logfile for you to review.

I only upgraded an appliance once to 2.6 so wait for someone else to verify this.

View solution in original post

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The de-dupe pool and  the catalog meta data will be changed during the upgrade process.

The catalog change is not as substantial as it was going to NBU 7.5 so that wont take too long but the MSDP part can take a long time!

The Appliance is just a Linux master server so make sure you have a catalog backup (preferably on tape) so that if the worst happens you can re-build and do a catalog recovery .. though if an upgrade of this sort failed you will need help from support anyway to help get everything back as it needs to be.

Jc_lee
Level 2
In this TN, it tell how to upgrade and how to rollback. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217250 It is better to download te upgrade RPM to upgrade appliance . if your appliance is a master, the NBU catalog will upgrade auto. and the MSDP catalog also will covert to new format. Steps you should do 1.duplicate the MSDP data to PTL 2.backup the NBU catalog 3.backup the MSDP catalog. 4.a good rollback solution need. becasuse when you ugrade from 2.5.X to 2.6.X. the appliance OS will upgrade.

5 REPLIES 5

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Catalog upgrade ? I think you mean the dedup conversion process? It starts on it's own after the upgrade and it can take a very long time to complete. If something fails it will produce output and a logfile for you to review.

I only upgraded an appliance once to 2.6 so wait for someone else to verify this.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The de-dupe pool and  the catalog meta data will be changed during the upgrade process.

The catalog change is not as substantial as it was going to NBU 7.5 so that wont take too long but the MSDP part can take a long time!

The Appliance is just a Linux master server so make sure you have a catalog backup (preferably on tape) so that if the worst happens you can re-build and do a catalog recovery .. though if an upgrade of this sort failed you will need help from support anyway to help get everything back as it needs to be.

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your answers.

I have one more question: for the upgrade, can I directly upgrade from web console or command line? Do I need to reimage the appliance?

Thanks.

Jc_lee
Level 2
In this TN, it tell how to upgrade and how to rollback. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217250 It is better to download te upgrade RPM to upgrade appliance . if your appliance is a master, the NBU catalog will upgrade auto. and the MSDP catalog also will covert to new format. Steps you should do 1.duplicate the MSDP data to PTL 2.backup the NBU catalog 3.backup the MSDP catalog. 4.a good rollback solution need. becasuse when you ugrade from 2.5.X to 2.6.X. the appliance OS will upgrade.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Please mark solution or split solution, or do you have any more questions ?