cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Appliance 5230 reaching end of life

sagrawal
Level 5
Employee

Please note that the 5230 appliance reaches end of support on January 31, 2022. NetBackup Appliance 3.3.0.1 is the final release supported on the 5230 appliance.

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The sad thing is that Veritas does not have any DIY migration tools for smaller customers with a single appliance master/media server.

Consulting services (catman) is pricing us out of the market...

Veritas developed a toolkit a couple of years ago to migrate from 5220 to 5240 Appliance, but this tool was never adapted to current hardware and software versions.
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100043950

I have personally tried to get in touch with Appliance PMs and Appliance Inquiries.
I got 'offloaded' to a particular Veritas employee who made all sorts of promises that never materialized...

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

I do concur with @Marianne post as I am in similar situation. Dozen of remote sites running nbu on NBA5230 as master/media. There is no easy way to move to new NBA like 5250 without involving catman - which is way too pricy. This product is just not having continuity ... sad, sad....

Alos I do have a long term backup stored on tapes - so this is not just MSDP backups but also some tape based.

@sagrawal do you have any points to above? How we can migrate off 5230 to 5250's?

sagrawal
Level 5
Employee

Thanks @Marianne and @quebek for your feedback. I believe Veritas Product Manager has already reached out to Marianne. We really want our customers to have a smooth migration experience from 5230 to 5250 and will share further details in the coming weeks. Please continue to provide additional feedback on other migration challenges.

Marianne

@sagrawal 

Correct... But nothing substancial yet. Just what is coming... hopefully.

What I can say is that the PM needs sufficient use cases from the field to expedite development.

If anyone needs details, please PM me.

Thanks @Marianne for taking time to discuss on this topic.

There are multiple options available today for migrations and depending on the customer environment and scope, we can offer remote migration services or custom engagements where our consultants are on site helping customers to migrate. It all comes at a price because the amount of work involved is high and we want to ensure customer data is protected and secure during migration. Our remote migration services are offered at very less price as it is part of fixed scope and fixed price engagements. Reach out to your account team or Product Management if you need more details.

Now, in terms of what is coming, we can explain what our short term and long term plans are. Please contact us if you want to learn more on this. Our priority is to ensure data migration (including catalog) is well managed and handled and we are looking at ways to enable customer/partner to perform some simpler migrations as well.

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6

*** DISCLAIMER *** I work for the Partner that provides the solution I'm recomending below ***

There is an alternative solution, available TODAY which would allow Customers/Partners to do this themselves!

Tranzman from Stone Ram, was developed for moving other backup products such as TSM or DataProtector into NetBackup,  It can however do the same for NetBackup to NetBackup too.

Its makes it easy to do environment refreshes  or environment mergers/consolidations or even environmental splits.

It is very different to the services led approach.  It doesn't try to manipulate anything at the filesystem level, it does all of its migrations work without needing to stop NetBackup.  In fact that is NO downtime until you switch over  (through an automated process of deactivating policies/slps/mediaserver in the old and activation of them in the New environment).

It can be used to refresh from any storage NetBackup such as (Quantum, Data Domain, MSDP, Tape, BasicDisk, AdvancedDisk  etc) to any other NetBackup Storage.

Tranzman works by having BOTH old and new environments online at the same time, the only requirement is that the Environments have different names.  So if you want to retain the original master name this may not be the solution for everyone,  (However, Tranzman does handle updating certificates so that clients can still communicate, removing one of the main reasons for keeping the name!).

Tranzman utilizes native NetBackup commands to recreate all configuration (policies, slps, storage units, disk pools, KMS, etc), and exports and imports all the catalog contents, allowing the NEW master to become the Active master and to take over the workloads (policies / SLPs) (with a simple click of a button).

For a storage refresh the duplication activities would start when the catalog has been switched over, if a storage re-organisation is being performed as part of a split for example, then the duplication would take place before the catalog has been switched over.  With Tranzman there is flexibility without complexity.

Switching between versions is what we do, you do not need to be at the same version (or even backup product) for Tranzman to work!  (But destination should be equivelent or HIGHER)