cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netback applaince deduplication partition max size

yobole
Level 6

I have installed a Netbackup appliance 5230 and configured the maximum size of 75TB as a dedupe pool .. I however just read somehwere the deduplication partition the max size is 64tb

Is this true ? so i guess i need to resize my dedupe pool to 64TB and allocate 10TB as Advance disk ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

64 TB limit is an old setting. The actual limit on a 5230 is 100TB+ depending on the amount of shelves you have. What you need to avoid using disk across the two different array controllers. If you have two shelves you can do ~71 TB. there are 36 TB raw per expansion shelf and both shelves can be incorporated into an MSDP. There is some overhead on the disk and all so you only get 70 - 71 TB.

I am going to assume you got a 4TB base unit and if so you can convert that to advanced disk or leave it alone but you do not want to add that to the deduplication pool. It is a major performance impactor.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

64 TB limit is an old setting. The actual limit on a 5230 is 100TB+ depending on the amount of shelves you have. What you need to avoid using disk across the two different array controllers. If you have two shelves you can do ~71 TB. there are 36 TB raw per expansion shelf and both shelves can be incorporated into an MSDP. There is some overhead on the disk and all so you only get 70 - 71 TB.

I am going to assume you got a 4TB base unit and if so you can convert that to advanced disk or leave it alone but you do not want to add that to the deduplication pool. It is a major performance impactor.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

to use complete capacity in dedupe i believe upgrade your nbu to 7.6 onwards.... 

Read following to get more insights on capacity

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/netbackup-appliances-doubling-capacity