cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safeguarding an appliance.

lt13624
Level 4

Hi All,

What is the best procedure for safeguarding an appliance? I realize that the internal boot disk uses a RAID configuration but what is the best way to safeguard against someone typing rm -r * in the / directory of the appliance. 

Would it just be a re-image?

Can I backup the internal disk to anywhere?

I know that the catalogie is safe internally on its own section of disk. 

I have looked in the documentation and couldn't find anything in detail. Just wondered what everyone else is doing out there? If there is a procedure written somewhere?

Kind Regards,

Leo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes it is locked out - see this thread for more information etc: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/why-symantecwhy It is just a linux server so if you wanted to back it up you could do so to another media server .. but if it does totally die then it would get re-imaged and if the disk shelves were still Ok you would then follow the data recovery process for an appliance Usually there is little point backing up media servers but the msdp configurations can be useful - but obviously backed up else where

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The appliance is pretty much like any other server - the best protection is to change the password and not let anyone in

Also go to 2.6.0.2 and ensure your passwords are set so that no one can even access the operating system as it gets locked out in 2.6.0.2.

You could back it up if you wish but there are recovery options available - just think of it in the same way as any other media server in which case there is very little to protect.

lt13624
Level 4

Hi Mark,

We have the server protected by a strong password, we are a secure government site where everything is audited. However, that still doesnt mitigate the fact that someone could still make a mistake (rm -r) and we want to accomodate for that.

We are at 2.6.0.1. When you say that the operating system gets locked out in 2.6.0.2. what do you mean? That you cant get to the command line via support -> maintenance -> elevate? How would you check anything in the Linux distro?

Do you have to do a normal Linux backup to another host or is there a tool in Netbackup you can use to backup itself? Just looking for peoples experiences in this field.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Yes it is locked out - see this thread for more information etc: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/why-symantecwhy It is just a linux server so if you wanted to back it up you could do so to another media server .. but if it does totally die then it would get re-imaged and if the disk shelves were still Ok you would then follow the data recovery process for an appliance Usually there is little point backing up media servers but the msdp configurations can be useful - but obviously backed up else where

lt13624
Level 4

Thanks Mark. That certainly looks like an interesting thread. I think we will stay with 2.6.0.1 for now.

Sulivan77
Level 4

We let our admins know that doing something like that is a career altering event. wink