cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 2.5.04 to 2.6.0.2 - MSDP Conversion

cfortenberry
Level 2
Partner Accredited

I recently performed an upgrade to a 5230 appliance from 2.5.0.4 to 2.6.0.2. The appliance has a newly configured MSDP pool with nothing on it. Will a conversion actually run on that new pool? Or since it is new will it be skipped?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

chashock
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

A conversion will be run.  It should be fast, since there is no data, but it will happen b/c MSDP undergoes a fundamental architectural and structural change between 7.5.x and 7.6.x, so all the file system changes and the deconstruction of the database has to occur.

I've done upgrades on "empty" appliances and they went quickly, but the upgrade wasn't instantaneous.  I don't remember off the top of my head the numbers on how long it actually took, though, sorry.

It might be faster, if you can, just to re-image to 2.6.0.3, unless you want to go through the upgrade process for the experience.  That way there's no conversion, the MSDP pool is built with the current structure from the start.

cfortenberry
Level 2
Partner Accredited

1) How do I check to verify if it indeed ran?

2) If I need to ever run the conversion manually, what is the process?

I am not having much luck in finding that info in the Symantec documentation and been searching all afternoon.

Thanks!

chashock
Level 6

The fact that your appliance isn't reporting it is at 2.6.0.3 says it didn't run properly, and beyond that is an issue for support to resolve.

There is no manual process documented.  The conversions are part of NBU software and appliance upgrades.  None of the steps associated with that process should be run manually unless support determines where the process errored out, if it wasn't rolled back, and they can manually intervene to continue the upgrade.

This isn't like a catalog migration.  It's an underlying actual conversion of how the MSDP pool is configured and works, associated with 7.6.0.1/2.6.0.1 and beyond, so there should never be a need to manually convert the MSDP outside of a failure being worked by support.

mnolan
Level 6

There is indeed a manual process documented for when it fails as if it fails for the conversion only takes place after the upgrade. The upgrade would still be valid.

/usr/openv/pdde/pdconfigure/scripts/installers/PDDE_convert.sh

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH213745

However yes, if his appliance does not show it at 2.6.0.3 then it cannot be converted yet as the upgrade most likely failed and rolled back.