cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VLAN support on 5220

k-stanford
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

We have a customer who has a number of networks provisioned for their NDMP backups.

Is it possible to configure the 10g Ethernet ports on the NB5220 for multiple vlans ?

5 REPLIES 5

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sidestepping the question of whether or not it is possible... I will tell you, with apologies in advance, that currently it is not supported.

Ksmith169
Level 3

Hi CRZ,

I think this is possible and supported. Please see this thread https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/multiple-vlans-10gb-ethernet-ports-netbackup-5220-appliance

Can you you review and let me know if supported?

Best Regards,

Kevin.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Kevin,

My previous answer has not changed.  This configuration is unsupported.  I have left a comment in the other thread as well.

Ksmith169
Level 3

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarity but this does contradict Wolfsbanes experience and health check results (other thread). It also a serious limitation on the new NetBackup Appliance especially considering it is Suse Linux.

How are customers to get the best use out of 10Gb Ethernet ports if they cannot get connected to multiple VLANs? This just makes no sense. All customers of any reasonable size are going to have multiple vlans that require backup traffic to flow to and from.

How does Symantec suggest customers solve this problem without support for VLANs?

The only way I can see is to create a single backup VLAN and change ALL clients to have interfaces on that VLAN. This may not always be possible depending on clients OS and installed network cards. It can also pose security threats. It also means all clients must change compared to single device change of VLANs supported on appliance.

If a customer installed there own NetBackup Server (hardware and OS) they could configure VLANs. It is the sensible thing to do.

If we create VLANs will all other aspects of set-up be supported apart from any VLAN issues. To be frank VLANs tend to work and in general any issues are at the network stack.

Best Regards,

Kevin.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i agree with u kevin.. Your words sounds more of enhancement which appliance must have atleast by means of patch sort .....

due to shortcoming on backup appliance , entire organization model cannot be manipulated.

we have long mile to improve day by day especially on appliance part.