cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU7 Deduplication & Lotus Notes Agent

Jim-90
Level 6

Anybody else checked out the perforamnce of Lotus Notes agent backups using a NBU7 Deduplicating Media Server?

What sort of Dedup rates are you getting with mail databases?

What I have seen on HP rebadged Sepatons hasn't been that impressive for mail databse servers.   

Lotus Notes database that contian non-mail files dedup well.  Its only the personal mail files thatseen to be a problem.  

5 REPLIES 5

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I've seen many various results for Notes files with both PureDisk and PDDE, and in most cases the names.nsf does not de-dup well. Also, if the Domino server is set up to compact the NSF files, you would again get worse de-dup as blocks are moved around etc.

Apart form that, usually in the range of 80-95% per backup, so a little bit worse than normal file server backups, but still in the acceptable range. Exhange doesn't really do much better.

It is the nature of the application type, a lot of changes every day...

/A

bobmorton
Level 2

Thanks for the info. I try to look for the possible solution with that issue but I can't find any answer. Thanks for your help.

Bob Morton

cartier must 21 watch | chopard imperiale user

bobmorton
Level 2

thanks again

Merv
Level 6
Partner

For what it's worth ,I've having generally low dedup rates 40-50% on Notes as well on NBU 7 with  MSDP

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you enabled compression for the data selection in PDROE or in the /usr/openv/lib/ost-plugin/pd.conf (PDDO/PDDE)?

This usally gives you another 2:1 on the already de-duped data. In PD 6.6.1 the compression algorithm was changed to a much better performing one, improving the de-dup ratio even further.

/A