cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 Remote office de-duplication

rbkguy
Level 4

Hi everyone,

I am starting the process to look at de-duplication and am looking for any info on what other de-duplication clients have for WAN links.  We currently have 7 sites that each have a 10MB pipe connected back to head office with about 400GB worth of data per site being backed up during our full backups. I would say half if not more of that data is duplication across the 7 sites. 

So my question is can this be done with our network connection? Also can it be done with out a media server in the remote office and just de-duplicate from the client across the wan link to the backup server in HQ?

2 REPLIES 2

dalepa
Not applicable

We are looking at the same issue.... The problem is the with the initial transfer. 400gb is going to take 2-4 days over a 10mbit link. After the incremental only the changes will be transferred to hq media server Also don't forget the restore which will take 2-4 days to recover to the remote. I would say that your pipe is to small for this amount of data

Also, how many servers at the remote sites. 1? or 40? 40 at 10gb might be doable since you can spread out the backups and restores may not be as much an issue

PureD
Level 4

This is totally doable. Seed the PureDisk storagepool with data from each client via backup of client data to tape...restore tape to alternate client residing locally at PureDisk site, backup local client to PureDisk. Then start the remote client backups to PureDisk.

Backups of PD clients from Africa to USA have been performed over crappier links. Sure the initial backup took 30+ days but the rest were incrementals! 

Seed the storagepool....thats the way to go.