cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Failing to Backup

a5972s
Level 3

I have an agent which is constantly failing to backup the system state.

Can anyone offer some advice of the following error...

Command '""C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\NetBackup PureDisk Agent\\bin\pdrai" --dsid 5 --generate_po --backup --store --snap --dstype 8 --compress --encrypt_on_server --segment_size 262144"' unexpectedly terminated with exit status 1

Will this need a client re-install?

6 REPLIES 6

a5972s
Level 3

Additional log info included...

. Executing pdrai with command:
. "C:\\PROGRA~1\\Symantec\\NetBackup PureDisk Agent\\\\bin\\pdrai" --dsid 5 --generate_po --backup --store --snap --dstype 8 --compress --encrypt_on_server --segment_size 262144
takeSnapshot(): unable to prepare volume set for snap
Error: 4: resource child process: unable to create snapshot: unknown error
Error: 4: name process: unable to process resource object: unknown error
Error: 4: pdrai main: unable to perform operation: unknown error
*** Error Message ***

crwill19
Level 2

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I am having the exact same problem.

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
What OS is your agent?

crwill19
Level 2
Windows 2003 SP2

Tom_Burrell
Level 5

My experience is that most of these are problems with VSS.  first make sure you have enough free space to do a snapshot (you need at least 300MB free on the volume).

Next, check the event log for VSS errors- if you see any, go poking around the MS knowledgebase.  They put out a lot of patches for VSS that don't make it into the regular service packs.  Make sure you're up-to-date on VSS.

If that all checks out then yeah, try re-installing the client.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

There is a chance of PureDisk issues, rather than VSS ones, because it's not vss command that is failing - it's pdrai (whatever it's purpose might be)

Try running pdagent in debug mode.

Change the pdagent.cfg file with higher debug level and enable debugging to file, then run "pdagent --debug" from command line, do not forget to turn the debugging off after troubleshooting.

Abe