cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disable Encriptation

kennethp
Level 3
Partner

hi to all,  when I do an automatic backup wizard need to disable the encryption there is any way? thanks for you time

6 REPLIES 6

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Because of the de duplication algorithms that PureDisk uses to perform it's backups, there is no way to "disable encryption" because you are only sending hashed data across the wire.  This does not mean that your data is unreadable in transmission.  This basic method of encryption only means that you can not sniff the packets as they cross the network and put them together to get the payload data of the backup.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

I thought you could disable encryption from the "modify policy" window?

Abe

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Even in disabling the encryption, you will not be able to find human readable file content.

Nicolas_Cure
Level 4
Certified
You can disable encryption by modifying the policy. I'd think that event though it's hashed data the metadata is still being sent across and some people might have a need to encrypt it. Personally though I wouldn't use encryption because in fact the content of the data is not readable and it adds load to the client doing the encryption.

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified
Yes you can turn encryption off for the client, however...

Note that the data, on the Content Router (i.e. in PureDisk), is always stored encrypted (256-bit).

This means that if you disable encryption on the client side, the data will be transfered "unencrypted", however once it reaches the PureDisk node it will then be encrypted there. So, you've traded off any client performance negativity for PD node performance negativity. Just something to keep in mind.

Shashank
Level 4
It could disable encryption when modifying  policy then fire backup