Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerator can't use journal; "hard link or reparse point change detected"

ddm2
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

I installed NB 7.5 and enabled accelelerator on a couple of file server.

I enabled accelerator on policy attributes and journal usage on client proprties.

I run a second full backup to test accelerato but on job details I see:

"NOT using change journal data for xxxx: hard link or reparse point change detected".

On both server I get the same behaviour.

Both have Enterprise Vault installed.

A couple of question:

What are "reparse points"?

May be this problem is related to Enterprise Vault (installed on server for archiving)?

Any advice, link to documentation or idea is very apreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The_Skip
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Accelerator does not require NTFS change Journal but can use it if enabled. The notice you are seeing is saying that accelerator has detected a configuraiton where the default settings will be used. Accelerator is still enabled, it is just not using the NTFS change journal.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365503(v=vs.85).aspx

Are ther any junction points(filesystems mounted in folder)?

ddm2
Level 5

Thanks for your link.

I think the issue is a lack of compatibility between Enterprise Vault (that creates placeholder with reparse points attribute) and the accelerator function of NetBackup. When EV creates a placeholder, for some reason NetBackup can't use the journal.

I've found nothing about this issue around.

The_Skip
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Accelerator does not require NTFS change Journal but can use it if enabled. The notice you are seeing is saying that accelerator has detected a configuraiton where the default settings will be used. Accelerator is still enabled, it is just not using the NTFS change journal.

ddm2
Level 5

Hi,

using or not the journal makes a great difference in terms of backup time (30 seconds versus 1 hour).

I would understand when I can use the journal and if the accelerator is compatible with the file system archiving.

Thanks for your answer.

ddm2
Level 5

When NetBackup detects a change on reparse points can't use the journal.

EV placeholder are reparse points: when EV modifies the filesystem, NetBackup switches to the  track log method without journal. In this case, backup is anyway faster then a legacy backup without accelerator, but slower than an accelerated backup with journaling enabled.