Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerator with VMware policy

Toddman214
Level 6

Windows Master and Media servers, 2008R2

Netbackup 7.6.0.4

DataDomain running DDOS 5.4.4.3, DDboost plugin 3.0.0.1

I have an issue I've put on the back-burner for a bit, but am back to it. In testing Accelerator using VMWare policy type, I consistently see this message...

Info bpbrm(pid=2951988) the client does not support accelerator, switch to regular backup

I am able to run Accelerator with other non-vm backups to the needed OpenStorage target, but there must be something else VM policy related that I am not seeing. The Accelerator attribute is enabled in the policy, and I have the needed licensing.  Ive been searching for this message as related to VM backups, but have not come up with much, and what I find, seems to already be in place. Any direction you could give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Todd

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is your combination of NetBackup version, and OS version, and target storage device version... listed as supporting "Accel_Vmware", here, in the HCL:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76495/nbu_76_hcl.html#ost_secondary_storage_solutions-ost_storage_servers-ost_storage_servers_-_vendor_compatibility-data_domain-data_domain_-_support_with_windows_linux

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have you checked the HCL as per sdo's post? Not all DDs support Accelerator for Vmware and those that do, need latest plugin on media server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst

Does this happen for all your vm's?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is your combination of NetBackup version, and OS version, and target storage device version... listed as supporting "Accel_Vmware", here, in the HCL:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76495/nbu_76_hcl.html#ost_secondary_storage_solutions-ost_storage_servers-ost_storage_servers_-_vendor_compatibility-data_domain-data_domain_-_support_with_windows_linux

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just to confirm what you are saying: Accelerated VMware backup does not work when the target is a data domain ?

Have you enabled  Optimized synthetic backups on the data domain ?

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7296-data-domain-boost-openstorage-wp.pdf

Page 27 - I do expect it to be enabled.

Are you VM client >= VMware hardware type 7 ?

Marianne
Have you checked the HCL as per sdo's post? Not all DDs support Accelerator for Vmware and those that do, need latest plugin on media server.

Toddman214
Level 6

Ugh.....looks like an HCL issue. Thanks SDO. Due to an issue upgrading one of my media servers to 7.6.x, it is still on 7.5.0.4. That media server is my VM backup host. Looks like I need to get that fixed, and try again. Nicolai, yes, I do have that enabled. I'm able to send other Accelerated backup to this DataDomain...just not vm backups, but it looks to be the software version causing the problem.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Consider to marks SDO post as a solution or request "split solution" if think multiple post should have the credit.