cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Administration Console slow

Daniel_May
Level 3

our setup:

Master/media server: NBU 6.5.1 on HP-UX (11.23)

Clients: mixture of W2k and W2k3 (plus 1 exchange server 5.5)

When trying to administer NB through the NetBackup Administration console (installed locally onto a workstation) we find it is taking a while to browse between the different sections (Activity Monitor can take a couple of mins to come up) as for creating policies it will sit there for a few mins until we get the Attribute page displayed.

This behaviour however is not seen under the java console (again run locally on the same workstation), and just to make sure we have installed both consoles on another system with the same results.

It would be prefferable if we could avoid using the java console as this would require accounts on the UNIX server which we are attempting to avoid.

I've seen mention of some parameters to control the GUI but can't find any documentation for it....

any help would be appreciated

thanks

Dan

4 REPLIES 4

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

To make a remote admin console to work, you make the specific client/server as a trusted server in NBu config, means any command from this server will be executed as NBU admin console. Anytime you install Admin console on new laptop/desktop you need to add it to NBU config and if this client (laptop/desktop) happen to be a dhcp client and your DNS doesn't get updated for dhcp, you will be updating your hosts file every now and then.

Where as with Java Console you do not need to deal with these things. Yes, it requires  a login id but if you don't care you can have multiple people using the same id.

@Daniel May wrote:

I've seen mention of some parameters to control the GUI but can't find any documentation for it....

Which GUI you are referring here, Remote Admin GUI or Java Console?

Daniel_May
Level 3

We have already added in the trusted servers/clients into the host properties of the master server and that part is working fine.  However it is the performance of the Remote Admin Console that is the issue, it is so slow that it makes it unusable and so we are having to resort to using the java console instead.

The parameters I am after are those to control the Remote Admin Console...

Thanks

Dan

Daniel_May
Level 3

Since we are also using a seperate backup network for most servers we started investigating if that might be causing the issue.

Our master/media server is using 2 nics, one for the company network (IP,SM,GW,DNS etc) and the other for the backup network (using IP and subnet mask only), the same is also for several of our servers we intend to backup.

We've updated the hosts file on the master with all of the clients on the backup network, and on the clients we have inserted the master server backup name (server-nbu)

One of colleagues has since found a section on the tuning doc relating to muliple nics, it says to add both master server names into the BP.CONF on the server AND clients.  My only problem is that the BP.CONF file doesn't exist on Windows clients.  Should I just create it or am I looking for the wrong file?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
in windows its a register entry  - or just go to the gui and under servers add both there ( same as the bp.conf for unix servers).