cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single file restore from tape

Quincy
Level 3
I'm fairly new to NetBackup. I've backed up plenty of times but have never, thankful, had to restore until now. I am trying to restore one file. In the NetBackup volume pool I can see the media, in the catalog I've done a Verify action on the tape and I can see the various backup id's for the various date range I've chosen, and I've selected all of those and chosesn 'initiate import'. That process goes thru and I can see in the log the file I want to restore 123.edb which is fairly small. At that point I try to load backup, restore... however I Get the message "server does not contain any backups for client using the specified policy type". I've gone back into the cataloge and tried to do an import again however it says, that the existing image has been fount but cannot import it because it is already there. Am I missing a step here? What are the steps to take a tape and getting it into NetBackup and selecting a file to restore? FYI these tapes are not tapes that I backed up  and this is a fresh on a Win2k3 server. Thank you any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alexander_Harri
Level 4

Phase 2 usually takes about the same time as the original backup (longer if multiplexing was used).

1. Yes, you will be able to use the backup/restore gui to do the restore

Phase 1: Initialize Import: Scans the tapes for backup image fragments. Each tape in a backup set needs to be done seperately.

Phase 2: Import: Reads the backup fragments from an image in order to re-build the catalog data (basically a new backup without any write operation). I think that the main reason they are seperate operations is in order to deal with backup sets that are written to more than one tape (the import will fail if any of the tapes involved in the backup are missing).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Alexander_Harri
Level 4

In order fully import the backup set, you will need to do a phase 2 import.

Using the GUI:

1.In the catalog view, change the action to import

2.Set the date range to search to include the backup you want to import.

3. Search based on the client name (or all clients)

4. Right-click on the image you want to import

5. Left-click on 'Import'

When this process is done, you should be able to restore from this image.

For the complete instructions, see the following technote:

Step by step procedure on how to import NetBackup backup images via the NetBackup Administration Console GUI.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278948.htm

Quincy
Level 3
Alex thanks for the quick response. That is the process I am taking I'm waiting on a the import to finish which may or may not take until the end of time. Two more question if you dont mind. Once the Import is done then I can restore from the image by going into the Back and Restore software ? Also, what is the difference between import and initialize import? Thanks for the link too!

Alexander_Harri
Level 4

Phase 2 usually takes about the same time as the original backup (longer if multiplexing was used).

1. Yes, you will be able to use the backup/restore gui to do the restore

Phase 1: Initialize Import: Scans the tapes for backup image fragments. Each tape in a backup set needs to be done seperately.

Phase 2: Import: Reads the backup fragments from an image in order to re-build the catalog data (basically a new backup without any write operation). I think that the main reason they are seperate operations is in order to deal with backup sets that are written to more than one tape (the import will fail if any of the tapes involved in the backup are missing).

Quincy
Level 3

I see. Now I'm more confused then ever looks like the import finally completed:

12:15:16 INF - Import of policy USPX_EXCH, schedule Full (1099890042) was successfully completed.
12:15:16 INF - Imported 1 of 1 images successfully.

However when I open  'Backup, Archive, and Restore I get the same error message  "WARNING: server does not contain any backups for client..." Any idea what's giong wrong here? I just let the tape inport for the last two hours and it says its done but give me the samearea code

Quincy
Level 3
heh, same error code.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

when you go into Backup Restore window.

make sure your master server is correct.

make sure your souce server is the one you are looking to see the backups of.

make sure your destination server is the one you want to put the files on

MAKE SURE YOUR POLICY TYPE matchs the type of servers MS-Windows-NT,

when you select for restore choose from Normal Backup

see if this works.

Quincy
Level 3
Looks like it worked. Thanks guys.