cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Catalog Images

TonyS-MTBG
Level 2

This is simply a basic "is this working correctly" question.

I am running an archive on our catalog to remove old images and clear up space.  The person that installed NBU put it on the root drive, along with the images, and with nearly 100GBs of catalog we are running short of space.

The question is this, approximately how long should this run?  It is taking a very long time and doesn't seem to be writing very fast to the tape.  So far it has written about 1GB after 45 minutes.  These are LTO4 tapes.

At that rate it will run for like 3 days.  Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Probably not.

I suspect you are missing the tape tuning settings :

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS  (put value 32 in here)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS (put value 262144 in here)

Size setting is probably correct, number setting might need adjustment.

These settings go on the media server.

If these are in place already, and it is known that the media server can backup it's 'own disks' quickly then I would look at either the speed the master can read it's disks, or, the network speed between the master and the media server.

There is nothing particually special about a catalog archive job, it just backs up the .f files and then deletes them.  The writing to taoe bit is no different than for any other job.

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Probably not.

I suspect you are missing the tape tuning settings :

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS  (put value 32 in here)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS (put value 262144 in here)

Size setting is probably correct, number setting might need adjustment.

These settings go on the media server.

If these are in place already, and it is known that the media server can backup it's 'own disks' quickly then I would look at either the speed the master can read it's disks, or, the network speed between the master and the media server.

There is nothing particually special about a catalog archive job, it just backs up the .f files and then deletes them.  The writing to taoe bit is no different than for any other job.

Martin

TonyS-MTBG
Level 2

Thank you Martin, any chance you can translate that to Windows for me?  I couldn't find those settings in my Windows Admin Console.  I think I found some similar entries that all looked correct though.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The files do not exist by default - they must be created.

Path will be similar - <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\db\config. Take care that Windows explorer does not add .txt to the file names.  TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH19206 

Don't think it will help your current job going any faster....

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You mentioned " root drive " so probably assumed it was Linux/Unix.

For Windows, it would be the same except in c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\config\

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No, you will have to restart.

Indeed, as you mentioned root drive, I presumed unixy type os ...

m