cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are cleaning tapes "assigned" to a specific device host?

LAToro
Level 4
Hello,

I've been having issues with down drives due to "cleaning required" alerts generated from the library. Initially I thought our tape ops group was not putting in cleaning tapes and/or re-using tape labels. Turns out, the cleaning tapes were only available to the drives attached to a specific device host. Here's the env:

NB Master on Solaris 10 server, running version. 6.5.1
NB Media Server1 on Solaris 10, running version 6.5.1 (10 drives assigned from TLD0, also the robot control host)
NB Media Server2 on Solaris 10, running version 5.1MP5 (10 drives assigned from TLD0, Server1 is its control host).

Added a new cleaning tape to robot, ran an inventory, and initiated a cleaning on a drive attached to Server2, and got:
Jan 15 10:33:22 nys00i-0102 ltid[2680]: [ID 560523 daemon.error] Automatic cleaning of TLD(0) drive index 0 failed because there is no cleanin
g tape or the cleaning tape is used up
Jan 15 10:33:22 nys00i-0102 vmd[15538]: [ID 519504 daemon.error] terminating - no cleaning tape available (66)

issued the same for a drive on Server1, and it was cleaned.

Could this be attributed to the 2 versions on the respective media servers?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
What drive is index 0?
Is it the same type?
run
tpconfig -d
and have a looksee.

cviniciusm
Level 4
Hello,

Should I suppose the cleaning tape's bar code is correct ?

Is the cleaning remaining equal to zero ?

Regards.

LAToro
Level 4
An update:

I think this has to be a compatibility issue with the 6.5 and 5.1 media servers sharing the same library. All the drives are SDLT and the barcodes are correct (we use the same label types/rules on other environments). For the time being, we're having operators mount the cleaning tapes via robtest and manually decreasing the count of said cleaning tape by one, until we upgrade that media server.