Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAR shuts down

snawaz3
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.6

master/media win 2008 r2

client win2003

backup of microsoft exchange information store started failing with error 13 'an exixting connection was forcibly closed by the remote host'. If I go to the client and start BAR. It comes up fine and shows the last backup of a couple of days ago. If I try and do a manual backup the BAR shuts down. Any clues what is happenening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

snawaz3
Level 6

semantec is still researching this issue. But google finally came through. there is a bug fix for cluster nodes when upgrading to 7.5.0.6. After installing the fix the BAR works and the backup works

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209546

thanks for all the help.my bad probably forget to mention the cluster

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Have you tried disabling any anti-virus on the system? If so, does it work then?

Nate_D1
Level 6

The BAR console closes? Or the job shuts down (stops)? Are you trying to initiate the backup from the exchange server? Has anything changed in the environment recently? Any new hardware (routers/firewalls) in the network between the 2 servers?

I know it sounds lame, but half the time when I have some funky random error a reboot or failover will resolve the issue. If thats possible in your environment you could just test that out quickly.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Never good when the BAR shuts down early. wink  Check Windows Event Viewer for any clues.

I agree with Nate, a reboot may be in order. 

snawaz3
Level 6

Yes I tried that but no difference. This happens intermittendly. It will run for a day or two an dthen will not run for a couple of days.

snawaz3
Level 6

rebooting did fix it once before but that is not an option i can regularly apply.

@NATE.D....I am backing up from the master. But sometimes when backups fail I go to the client and start BAR. This gives me and indication that the clint is working. I have had errors because the client nbu was not working and after restarting the services the backup was good.

Nate_D1
Level 6

It sounds like you may need to turn up the bpbrm logging, attempt a job, let it fail and see what it spits out. Error 13 can be pretty vague, with lots of possible places it could be broken.  Do the backups always fail with 13 or do they return any others? Are you trying to do a GRT backup? Does a reboot always fix the issue and then it comes back?

Nate_D1
Level 6

Any movement on this snawaz3?

snawaz3
Level 6

No. I got distracted by management prioritied. Attched is the bpkar log. Please help.

snawaz3
Level 6

Any help guys?

Will_Restore
Level 6

no status 13 in the attached log, no fatal errors at all

Nate suggested posting bpbrm log

Nate_D1
Level 6

Try the bpbrm log, its in %install dir%\NetBackup\logs\bpbrm

snawaz3
Level 6

the bpbrm folder is empty.

snawaz3
Level 6

the verbose was set to 0. I changed that to 5. attached are the logs

snawaz3
Level 6

have contacted symantec tech support and working with them

Nate_D1
Level 6

Please post back and let us know the results.

snawaz3
Level 6

semantec is still researching this issue. But google finally came through. there is a bug fix for cluster nodes when upgrading to 7.5.0.6. After installing the fix the BAR works and the backup works

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209546

thanks for all the help.my bad probably forget to mention the cluster

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Interesting!  Glad you found it.  The TN mentions 2003 but you mentioned 2008 - do we need to expand the scope of our TechNote?

It looks like this is resolved in 7.5.0.7 but WON'T be resolved in the 7.6 line until 7.6.0.2, so you may need to ask us for another EEB if you upgrade to the 7.6.0.x line (actually, I see another Etrack is already listed for 7.6!)

After upgrading to Netbackup 7.5.0.6 or 7.6, bpbkar32.exe may fault on Windows 2003 clustered servers.
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH209546

snawaz3
Level 6

the client is 2003. my take is that the clustered servers could be the client or the master/media servers.