cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up data from Eqalogic iSCSI SAN

Geokes
Level 3

I posted this on the Backup Exec forum and curious if there is any difference in how Netbackup handles Eqallogic arrays. Specifically, does it integrate with vendor specific providers (ASM/ME or ASM/VE) and how.

I have to choose between upgrading Netbackup 6.5 and purchasing Backup Exec 2010R2.

What are the technical diffrences between the two?

I'm trying to find some documentation on how to create application consistent backups (VSS) of SQL/exchange virtual machines.

Running vSphere 4.1 and ESXi 4.1 on all hosts.

My media server will be connected to the iSCSI network and the Eqallogic HIT (host integration toolkit) will be installed on it.

What exact configuration do I need on the VMs hosting Exchange/SQL/NTFS?

Do I need the Eqallogic ASM/ME or ASM/VE installed in the VM or on the ESXi host?

Since ASM/ME requires  the the in VM Microsoft iSCSI initiator I have to know if its required for backups or not. If not, I can just use the iSCSI software adapter on the ESXi host level.

Any specific links or advice would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

1. Equallogic is not a certified storage array as per the NetBackup Snapshot compatibility guide. This means that you'll not be able to integrate with the APIs you mentioned.
  2. The application consistent backup can only be created with the NetBackup client installed in the VM and by using the SQL/Exchange agent to perform a online backup which will be sent to tape across the LAN. SQL VSS integrated snaps are apparently possible but there is a limitation that you cannot truncate the SQL logs. This method is not really documented in the NetBackup guides.

You don't really need to have any software from Equallogic installed in your VM or vSphere. NetBackup relies on vSphere to perform the snapshot, which it then backs up via the SAN/LAN. If its supposed to be SAN, then you have to place the netbackup (windows) server in the same zone as the zone luns containing your datastores. This configuration is used for O/S backups. Applications and databases are protected with the legacy method as described in point 2.

Geokes
Level 3

Thanks for the clarification,  Riaan.

So at this point:

- VMs should be backed up over SAN using Netbackup/Backup Exec

- Application data should be backed up using in-VM agents over the LAN (slooow)

- snapshots/replication (to a DR site) handled separately by the EQL firmware/VMware SRM

Would be nice to have all that integrated, but I guess its not easy for all the vendors  involved to work together.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

Yeah thats about it. The VM's can be done across the LAN too....

R

teiva-boy
Level 6

Keep in mind, that BE actually has more when it comes to Vmware features and Hyper-V features.  Like a single pass backup of a VM, but can restore even mailbox items from a virtualized Exchange server.  NBU would have to do a 2nd backup pass to be able to restore mailbox items.

To change one clarification on NBU's support for VSS providers and snapshots...  NBU has gone the route of an "open support," policy to VSS providers.  Rather than having to certify each and every vendor, make model etc..  Of course this could mean some 3-way calls between customer/Symantec/and SAN vendor in case of support issues.

Install the NBU client in a guest, and you can do off-host backups in NBU with your EQL arrays.  The way the virtual licensing works, you would have that available to any guest you need that (e.g. physical RDM's anyone?)  Pretty cool that Symantec allows for that. :)  

Mouse

EQL has a HIT driver set that provides a VSS driver that is explicitely mentioned in the "VSS Snapshot Providers support for Microsoft Windows" chapter of the SNC list.