cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up stub files on NAS

bijucyborg
Level 2

Hi,

IHAC who is looking to backup his primary Hitachi NAS filesystem using NBU (Im not sure of the version). This filesystem is actually connected to the Hitachi Content archive platform. 

When backing up the NAS filesystem, will NBU copy the stub or will it pull data. How can I restrict NBU to backup only the stub file and not the actual data residing on the content platform? 

I have a read a few posts related to this question with one saying I have to restrict this on the archiving platform itself, but I see no way of doing this.

Q: Is Netbackup intelligent enough to recognize stub files?

Regards,

Biju

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This is a similar issue as backing up something like DiskExtender - the magic happens at the file system level hence why NBU cannot control it. See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-and-emc-diskxtender

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Check to see if we list this anywhere in the compatability guides, but I doubt NBU is going to be intellegent enough if it's not listed as compatible. You need to speak with Hitachi and find out how to back up the system using 3rd part appliacations as the first step, as it's really a Hitachi Content archive issue, not a NBU issue (at least at the moment).

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This is a similar issue as backing up something like DiskExtender - the magic happens at the file system level hence why NBU cannot control it. See https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-and-emc-diskxtender

bijucyborg
Level 2

thanks mph999

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Pleased to help - sorry it was a bit 'negative' but sometimes you need to xplain it 'as things are'.

No point trying to troubleshoot/ investigate from NBU side when you really need to start 'somewhere else'.

Thank you for the soluion.

Martin