cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up through a firewall 5.0

Keith_Adams_3
Level 3
I have been through the docs on backing up from master - client and believe everything is setup properly but we're still having an issue. I feel the issue is probably in the firewall rules somewhere but thought I'd run things by you here before I push the issue there.

Firewall ports open:

Internal to DMZ and also DMZ to Internal

13782 and 13724

Client firewall setup:

- Use connect back
- Use reserved ports
- Daemon port only

I've actually tried just about every combination of the above and nothing seems to work. Are there additional ports I may be missing? It seems like the ports are pretty well defined in the admin guide.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
Are you backing up a client

to the master server which is also acting as the media server?

Keith_Adams_3
Level 3
Yes, that is the current setup.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Did you set those clients up in the Master server properites to force communictaion over vnetd (port 13724)? If this is version 5.0 of NBU, you'll need to do that. If it's version 6.0, it's already assumed.

AKopel
Level 6
Here are the steps for 5.0:

You need 13782 incoming from the master to the client:
- Test from master with portqry -n clientname -e 13782
- Should get TCP port 13782 (bpcd service): LISTENING

You need 13724 outgoing from client to master:
- Test from client with portqry -n masterserver -e 13724
- Should get TCP port 13724 (vnetd service): LISTENING

If you get FILTERED for either of these tests, your firewall is not opened in the correct direction.

Then you need to add the client to the master server in "Client Attributes"
Check "Use Connect Back" or "No Connect Back" (I can't remember exactly as we are now on 6.0)

At this point, you should be able to open host properties on the client.

If you want to be able to initate restores from the client, you will also have to go into the client properties, and go to the Firewall tab, and add the master server and choose "no connect back"

With 6.0 vnetd is the default, so you only need 13724 both directions, and NO other ports and no other configurations.

Keith_Adams_3
Level 3
Thanks, it does appear to be a fw issue.

Timothy_Payne
Level 4
I want to thank you all for the valuable information. We have been using IPSec to backup through our Firewall, a process I would never recommend to anyone. We had continuous problems with it.

However, has anyone seen any performance issues with the backups? Any recommendation on fine tuning through a firewall?