cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Issue

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Incremental Backup is going over size and consuming maximum time to backup..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sumit G

You really need to exclude the edb, stl and log files from your file system backup

Unless all Exchange Services are shut down the backups of these objects are unlikely to be of any help to you to be honest.

Dont do them as wild card exclusions, keep them specific:

So do just set an exclusion as *edb, set it as:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Data\*,edb (or were ever your paths to the Storage Group are)

As these files and the log files change constantly they will always get backed up during an incremental backup of the file system (if they can be locked for backup at all)

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Has a full backup run

Are you using TIR collection in the policy

Are you using archive bit / time stamp / journal for incremental backups

Thanks

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Also what type of backup is it?

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

We are using time stamp for taking incremental backup..

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

This is the database backup for Exchange..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you dont have a successful full backup, or you have made any changes to the policies then every incremental will run as a Full until you have a valid Full

If in doubt manually run a Full backup to reset everything

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please also confirm that your Full and Incremental schedules are in the SAME policy.

If they are in different policies, there is nothing to base the Incremetal on.

Archive Bit and/or timestamp apply to filesystem backups only.

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

We are taking full backup sucessfully. But after that still incremental backup size is going too high..

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

We have configured both backup schedule in Same policy...

We are taking file level Backup and we have tried both archieve bit / time stamp for taking the backup but porblem is still occur..

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that hasn't changed?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

Above you say "This is the database backup for Exchange.."

But then you say "We are taking file level Backup and we have tried both archieve bit / time stamp for taking the backup but porblem is still occur.."

So is this an Exchange Policy type or a file system policy type.

If you are trying to back up the Exchange Database files using a Windows file system backup then it is not going to work - due to how everything is changing it will back all of it up everytime and unless you shut down all exchange services before that backup it will be of no use to you anyway.

Please clarify this, but if you are backing up Exchange you need to use the agent in an Exchange Policy.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

In addition to clarification that Mark asked for, please also post your policy config. Run the following from cmd (netbackup\bin\admincmd):

bppllist <policy-name> -U

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Actully we are taking a Tape Backup so we are not sure that the incremental backup is taking the either modified data or not modified data,

I have some concerns that :

1. How can i check the data availability in the Tape Media after completed the backup ?

2. How will i ensure about database backup that backup is taking only modifications in the file or it is taking complete file after modification ?

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Which command have you suggested me is not working properly..

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

I have trying the command with some changes. We have fetched the policy configuration in Txt file which has attached here..

Marianne
Level 6

The unformatted output is difficult to read. PLEASE send FORMATTED output:

bppllist <policy-name> -U    (command is case sensitive - it MUST be uppercase U).

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified
We have configured two types of policies for the Exchagne Database,

1. DAG level backup to backing up the database backup of Echange Backup.
2. File level backup to backing up the all drives data including the *.EDB files too.

We are not facing any problem with the DAG backup, we are facing problem in the file level backup of all drives.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sumit G

You really need to exclude the edb, stl and log files from your file system backup

Unless all Exchange Services are shut down the backups of these objects are unlikely to be of any help to you to be honest.

Dont do them as wild card exclusions, keep them specific:

So do just set an exclusion as *edb, set it as:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\Data\*,edb (or were ever your paths to the Storage Group are)

As these files and the log files change constantly they will always get backed up during an incremental backup of the file system (if they can be locked for backup at all)

Hope this helps

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try this and after that revert back

Sumit_G
Level 4
Accredited Certified

Thanks a lot it help me to close the issue