cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups Fail every night on media server

Adamaitis
Level 4

Backups had been running fine on my media server for over a year.  Server was moved to a different rack then suddenly my backups started failing on this media server.  All cables followed the server in the move so everything is going through the same switches and ports.  Mostly the errors I receive are (40) network connection broken, (41) network connection timed out, and (13) file read failed.  Different backups fail every night, just because it fails one night does not mean it will fail the next night.  Also after one or two reruns I am always able to get the backup to complete successfully with a status 0.  Network errors sometimes occur when backing up a different client but also occur when system is backing up the Shadows that reside on the media server.  I have a wide range of errors also not limited to the 3 most common above.

Master server = Solaris 10

Media server = HP-UX B.11.11

Client = Solaris 10

I have had a ticket open with Symantec for some time now and they don't seem to know what is happening.  If anyone has encountered something like this before and knows something I could check it would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Have the check the ports on the patch pannel.
Have the check the cables - could have been dammaged in the move.

Adamaitis
Level 4
Network guys have been engaged and they see no problems with any of the ports across the line.  To me it seems like when the server was shutdown and moved some service or something may not have started back up.  There has also been error messages that the ports are not properly opening and closing.  Are there some port settings on the media server I should be checking?  Where would those config files be?  Or is there a service that I need to make sure is running?

Few more errors I see:

Error bptm(pid=25454) listen() error on data socket, Error 0, network connection timed out(41)
Error bpbrm(pid=15136) db_FLISTsend failed: network connection broken (40) 
Error bpbrm(pid=20494) bpcd on ken16 exited with status 21: socket open failed
Error bpbrm(pid=20781) cannot connect to kenapps19g, No such file or directory (2), can't connect to client(58)
Error bpbrm(pid=5093) client kenapps19g aborted, Warning bptm(pid=5092) could not set receive buffer size on socket, errno = 22, Warning bptm(pid=5092) could not set TCP_NODELAY on socket 0, errno = 22, Error bptm(pid=5092) system call failed - Connection reset by peer (at child.c.1296), Error bptm(pid=5092) unable to perform read from client socket, connection may have been broken, client did not start(49)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe the server physical move is a red herring... what is the NBU version and patch level? and O/S patch level?
Maybe O/S patches/updates were installed that came into effect when the server was shutdown and rebooted during the move...