cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode Reader, seeing 6 charactors instead of 8

LeeClayton
Level 5
I have netbackup 6.5.3 using a tape library scalar i500. In Production I have this working on the media and master server, all 8 charactors are being read by the robot. I've set up another server as a media server  which is connected to a tape library but everytime time i do an inventory it's only reading teh 1st 6 charators of the barcode (these tapes have been read successully in one of the other drives).
I've made sure I've changed devices to 8 (was originally set to 6), I've also remove the library, drives and re-added them, the vm'con file reads as:

MM_SERVER_NAME = eugbboap18wp
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 1 8 1:2:3:4:5:6
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 2 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

I did notice before I started checking for problems that the "medium changer" drive in windows was wrong, this has also been updated, plus a few reboots have taken place.

any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
setup >> Partition (media barcode format) >> modify . Must be set to standard.

-Rajeev

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If I am reading you correctly you have 2 different libraries?

Did you know that most libraries have a config option where you tell it how to read and report the barcodes.
My library offers
Plus six
Standard six
Extended
Media ID last
Media ID first
Standard

Check the config of your library to see if you have the both set the same.

LeeClayton
Level 5
I've connected to the library and it's seeing all 8 charaters XXXXXXL3 so the library is fine.
I;'ve done a robtest s s and that's only see 6 charaters.
I've just removed the robot, devices, etc of the problem server and re-added, still no luck.
I even tried reloading the external_types.txt  - no good
I have 2 existing media servers with the same library and they see all 8 characters, it's the new media serve which was installed 5 months ago, we've only just tested it, thats got the problem

rj_nbu
Level 6
Hi

check the media id generation rule (Inventory robot > advanced options > media id generation tab > media id generation rule > check\change the barcode length to 8 (might be set to 6)

-Rajeev

LeeClayton
Level 5
I've got this set to 8.

Here's the vm.conf file as well, the library with the problem is robot 3

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 1 8 1:2:3:4:5:6
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 2 8 1:2:3:4:5:6
MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS = 3 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

of course robot 1 & 2 are the same as 3 and are working fine.

driving me nuts.......

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
You said you checked the library and that it is seeing 8 charaters,
but did you check the config of the library to see what you are telling it to report.
the robot will always see all 8, but you set the config to tell it what to report back to netbackup.

rj_nbu
Level 6
i believe that tape libraries have a setting for reporting the barcodes as standard OR extended..which one is selected in your case. check in the library config. (barcode identification)

-Rajeev

LeeClayton
Level 5
I've logged onto the scalar i500 tape library but can not find anywhere, where I set how it passes the barcode to an application, I'll try and find the manual....

rj_nbu
Level 6
setup >> Partition (media barcode format) >> modify . Must be set to standard.

-Rajeev

LeeClayton
Level 5
thanks rj and everyone else, I will have to mark as solution quite a few of these replies, yep, didn't have a clue what I was looking for but as soon as you said the partition (no idea what that is) was set to standard it clicked, changed it to plus6 and it works

thanks guys!!!!