cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode conflict

K030T
Level 2
Hi, all!

I have Netbackup 5.1 and HP StorageWorks SSl1016 Ultrium 460 Autoloader.

I  make  backup  on non-barcoded media A00002 with barcode --------. Month ago I  stick  barcode label on this media and with robot inventory update volume configuration. Barcode on the media R748L2 is URR748L2 now.  After a time I try  restore data from media, but Netbackup  need old named media A00002.

1) I try use vmphyinv -rn 0
Following error(s) detected:

Barcode conflict detected: Barcode on the media R748L2 is URR748L2. There is
another media A00002 with barcode -------- in the volume database on host xxx.yyyy.zzz.

2) Attempt  2
vmdelete -m R748L2
vmphyinv -rn 0 -slot_list 5 -d hcart2
Following error(s) detected:

Barcode conflict detected: Barcode on the media in slot 5 is URR748L2. There is
another media A00002 with barcode -------- in the volume database on host xxx.yyyy.zzz.

Restore data from this media real?
3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
when you put media in the robot, if it cannot read the barcode it will give it a label starting with A.

when it writes to the tape, the first thing it does is write the media label on the tape to match the barcode.

So if you put in a tape with no bar code but it said ti was A000002, when it wrote to the tape it wrote on it that it was labeled A000002.

Now you sitck a real barcode on the tape and put it back in the lib.

when it goes to write to the tape with Barcode R748L2, the first thing it does is check to see that the barcode it read on the outside of the tape MATCHES the barcode label written on the tape..... if they DO NOT match it will complain.

Reason is what if the barcode fell off of more then one and you put the back on wrong?, or is somebody switched one.... you could overwrite a tape that really is not expired yet.

If the two labels do not match it will not use the tape.

How to fix,  if the data on A000002 is expired and you dont' need it any more and you want to over write the tape you have to relabel the "tape'

gui -
right click the tape in the media list and say
label
make sure the server listed is one with a tapedrive
UNCheck the verify (meaing it would compare the two and if different not do the label).

this will mount the tape and write a new label on the front of it to match the barcode on the out side.

you should then be able to write to the tape.

K030T
Level 2
thanks, but I need data on media A000002 :(
Relabel is not good

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
then you need a barcode with that label or try to find a way to get it back in the robot where netbackup sees it with that label.