cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode issues

neilmjamieson
Level 2

Hi

We have an issue with a site where somehow tapes we loaded (and used) without bar codes.  These tapes were numbered by NBU 7.1 as A00001 through A00025.  When the system was restarted it has now re-numbered A00026 through A00050.  Upon doing an import phase1 I can see for example "Media mounted has media id of A000013, but A00040 was requested", so I can marry up old tape label to new.

Short term I have arranged for this site to get barcode labels.  In meantime can I rename the media without data loss so we can catalogue?  At present all tapes default to NetBackup pool and have no allocation date.  It is a bit of a mess.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Shelf all tapes and use the new barcode labled tapes. When Netbackup wrote a new magnetic label it may have overwritten the media so import is no longer possible.

You have now learned why barcode labels are very important wink

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are these non-barcoded media?

If so, 'normal' Inventory should never be used unless media is really new...

Use 'physical inventory' to mount each tape, read internal label and update NBU config.

See NBU Commands manual for vmphyinv command usage.

neilmjamieson
Level 2

I cannot scrap the tapes as there is a year of data I am afraid.

I can see which tapes and which were which, as they have been re-numbered, so now I cannot restore.  I will get barcode labels in due course but I need to know how to rename and re-import to get data back.

I cannot locate vmphyinv?  It is NBU 7.1

Thanks in advance

Marianne
Level 6

The path to the vmphyinv command can be found in the Commands manual (link in my previous post):

On UNIX and Linux systems, the directory path to this command is
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/

On Windows systems, the directory path to this command is
<install_path>\Volmgr\bin\

neilmjamieson
Level 2

Thanks Marianne.  Just checking this now.

Marianne
Level 6

Overview of 'pysical inventory' can also be found in NBU Admin Guide I. 

See About the vmphyinv physical inventory utility in Admin Guide I.

Links to all NBU 7.1 manuals: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154178

neilmjamieson
Level 2

Spot on.  This has now reverted the tape names, and pulled back allocation dates. 

Once I get labels to the sites what is the best way to go about renaming but retaining any data?

Thanks again

Marianne
Level 6

Media id's need to remain the same until all images on media have expired.

Only when media is deassigned can you add labels and then delete old media id's.
Add labels, do normal Inventory, then use the GUI to Label the tapes (with option to verify label de-selected).
This will re-write internal label to match external.

If you have sufficient media, duplicate non-barcoded media to barcoded media, then expire original.

**** EDIT ****

Another possibilty:

When you receive the barcodes, stick barcodes on tape, taking extreme care that you have marked each physical tape with its A000... id.

Find out how robot sees labels - 1st 6 characters, or all 8 (including density at the end - e.g. L4)?

Update media id with its barcode:

vmchange -m <A000...> -barcode <6 or 8 character barcode>

1st option above is the 'neat and tidy' way.

Option 2 will make you stick with A00 media id's (unless you can catch it when expired and then delete A00.. id, Inventory, re-label).