cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blat not authenticating email user

Tfaraj
Level 4

Hi,

I configured Blat to enable email notification on Netbackup, it is working fine however if I specify a username and password in the registry, I am getting the following errors:

*** Warning ***  The SMTP server did not accept Auth PLAIN value.
*** Warning ***  Are your login userid and password correct?
*** Warning ***  The SMTP server did not accept Auth LOGIN PASSWD value.

Any idea ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If your SMTP server is not accepting plain text authentication, then it is still possible to send emails via SSL to an SMTP server... however "blat" cannot do this natively.    If emails are only accepted by your SMTP server using SSL... AND you still want to use blat... then you will also need to use something like "stunnel"... so that "blat" sends to "stunnel" which sends to SMTP server.

(In case anyone else reads this - this whole topic is to do with emailing from NetBackup Server on Windows - and is of no relevance whatsoever to emailing from NetBackup Server on Unix/Linux, nor NetBackup Appliances, nor OpsCenter (on either Windows or Unix)).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Why not try using blat with the CLI switches to configure username and password? There are several recent examples in this forum. :)

Tfaraj
Level 4

It is already installed I running I just want to provide user and password whithout affecting it as it is a production server.

How can I provide credential outside the registry ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not too sure what you mean with '... whithout affecting it as it is a production server.'

Why can you not run 
blat -install <server addr> <sender's addr>
or 
blat -install
SMTP  <server addr> <sender's addr> ?

Here is another forum discussion with some examples:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/blat-netbackup-need-assistance-configuration

sdo

If your SMTP server is not accepting plain text authentication, then it is still possible to send emails via SSL to an SMTP server... however "blat" cannot do this natively.    If emails are only accepted by your SMTP server using SSL... AND you still want to use blat... then you will also need to use something like "stunnel"... so that "blat" sends to "stunnel" which sends to SMTP server.

(In case anyone else reads this - this whole topic is to do with emailing from NetBackup Server on Windows - and is of no relevance whatsoever to emailing from NetBackup Server on Unix/Linux, nor NetBackup Appliances, nor OpsCenter (on either Windows or Unix)).

sdo

Here are my notes re "stunnel" usage with "blat"...

- Configure stunnel:

Unfortunately, blat does not support SSL connections. However another free utility, stunnel (secure tunnel?), can convert data from an SSL-ignorant program like blat and send it to an SSL-aware computer or connection. Stunnel can do lots of other things too.  Installation turned out to be quite simple, basically the same on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 2008 R2.

•Download stunnel-4.xx-installer.exe from stunnel.org.
•Run it and accept the defaults. This installs the software on the disk, in c:\Program Files\stunnel on a 32-bit system or c:\Program Files (x86)\stunnel on a 64-bit system.
•In the "X:\Program Files (x86)\stunnel" folder save a copy of stunnel.conf  to  stunnel.conf.orig.txt
•In Start/Programs go to the new stunnel folder and right-click on "Edit Stunnel.conf." Click Run as Administrator (Vista or W7), or click Open (XP). This brings the configuration file into Notepad with rights to modify it. You may be prompted for permission in this and following steps.
•Delete everything in the file, and copy in the four lines example below, modifying them for your use. "Accept" is the port on which blat sends the email (this can be changed), and "connect" is the server name and port that your ISP wants you to use.

client = yes
[ssmtp]
accept  = 25
connect = mail.btinternet.com:465

•Save and quit.
•In Start/Programs, right-click "Service Install" and click Run as Administrator.
•In Start/Programs, right-click "Service Start"   and click Run as Administrator.

In the script which runs blat, or in the registry, you will want to specity the server as follows: "-server localhost:25"

- Configure blat:

Download "blat" (probably v3.1.1) and copy blat.exe, blat.lib, and blat.dll to your "utils" folder.

Syntax:
blat -install[SMTP|NNTP|POP3|IMAP] <server addr> <sender email addr> [<try n times> [<port> [<profile> [<username> [<password>]]]]]

Old config - i.e. not using stunnel for SSL:
     blat -profile
     REM                smtp-server          sender-email         tries  port  profile-name  login-account        password
     blat -installSMTP  mail.btinternet.com  blah@btinternet.com  1      25    myprofile     blah@btinternet.com  blahblahblah
     blat -profile

New config - i.e. using stunnel for SSL:
     blat -profile
     blat -profile -delete myprofile
     blat -profile
     blat -installSMTP localhost blah@btinternet.com 1 25 myprofile blah@btinternet.com blahblahblah
     blat -profile

Test sending via stunnel via your BT account to your Apple account with:
     (echo test-body)      >test-body.txt
     (echo test-attachment)>test-attachment.txt
     blat -profile
     blat test-body.txt -s "test from %computername%" -t blah@me.com -p myprofile -attach test-attachment.txt -debug

[end]

Thank you so much for posting this article and steps on BLAT and SSTunnel configuration.  It was a great start but am running into an issue when running BLAT test command I receive this error:

superDebug:  Attempting to connect to ip address 127.0.01, on port 25

Validated:  I can telnet to localhost on 25, can telnet to mailserver on port 587

BLAT install command:  
blat.exe -installSMTP localhost <sender address> -q -port 25 -u <smtp account> -pw <password> 

STUNNEL Config file:  

debug=7
output = stunnel.log

sslVersionMax = TLSV1.2

sslVersion = all
options = NO_SSLv2
options = NO_SSLv3

[ssmtp]
client = yes
accept = 25
connect = <mailserver>:587
cert = stunnel.pem

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@new2nbu 

Best to continue with your post over here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Configuring-BLAT-with-STUNNEL/m-p/874510

You can refer to this URL if you like.

I am sure if @sdo can assist, he will do so in your current discussion.

I will lock this post for further comments.