cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bprestore from a different copy

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I'm going a bit crazy trying to get the syntax down to allow me to restore files from a second copy of the backup. We are spinning up a new datacenter and I have seeded the datadomain with the user files that will be used out there. I am testing using the following syntax:

Bprestore -B -L D:\UserRestore.txt -C srvycusr04  -D srvmknbs01  -copy 2 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt -R D:\Rename.txt

I always end up with error 2808 and little else in the logs. I get the following in the log:

07:02:32 (692272.xxx) /C/Data/Users/UDS01/DATA/Dgiberson/ -s 09/01/2013 00:00:00 -e 09/17/2013 00:00:00 - no files matched in the given date range

07:02:36 (692272.xxx) INF - Status = MS-Windows policy restore error.

The issue is, that I have verified that there are files in that date range. I get the same error even off the primary copy.

Any thoughts?

Running NBU 7.5.0.5 in W2K8.

23 REPLIES 23

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

by any chance you did you try keeping files in this way.. in D:\TestRestoreFile.txt 

C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Nope...I have the required CR at the end of the line.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried bplist to see if filenames are listed for this period?

Please also double-check the policy type - a Standard policy will work for a Windows client backup, but fail to list/restore if Windows policy type is specified for restore.

Try to add -t <policy type> according to what you see in the policy:
-t 0  (Standard)
-t 13 (MS-Windows)

Double check Client name in Policy as well -  -C <client-name> must match Client name in policy exactly.
srvycusr04 != srvycusr04.FQDN != SRVYCUSR04

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Thanks Marianne,

I have used the GUI to confirm everything is there. Even doing it from the Primary copy fails with the same 2808 error.

I tried your suggestions on the policy type and confirming names, without luck.

Stumpr2
Level 6

bplist and bprestore do not parse very well and one should be careful to put items in the proper order following the usage given:

USAGE: bprestore [-A | -B | -rb] [-K] [-l | -H | -y] [-r] [-T] [-J]
      [-L progress_log [-en]] [-R rename_file (must be an absolute path)] [-C client]
      [-D client] [-S master_server] [-disk_media_server media_server]
      [-t policy_type] [-p policy] [-k "keyword phrase"] [-cm] [-drs]
      [-md] [-dd] [-td temp_dir] [-F file_options] [-copy copy_number]
      [-s mm/dd/yyyy  [HH:MM:SS]] [-e mm/dd/yyyy  [HH:MM:SS]]
      [-w [hh:mm:ss]]
      [-BR sharepoint_redirected_portal | sharepoint_redirected_teamsite | Exchange_2010_redirected_path]
      [-spsredir_server sharepoint_redirected_hostname]
      [-granular_restore] [-priority number]
      [-spsverkeep <0|1|2>] [-spscurver] [-spsignorelock] [-spspreserveiis] [-spsrestoresecurity]
      [-vhd_fn VHD_file_name -vhd_type VHD_type -vhd_dsize VHD_Disk_Size -vhd_dof VHD_Delete_On_Failure(0/1)]
      [-ev_migrated_data]
      -f listfile | filenames

I noticed you placed your rename file at the end of the command string and it should be after the logfile.

Also, I always use bplist before doing a bprestore.

Marianne
Level 6

Enable bplist and bprestore log folders and use the GUI again.

Look in the resulting logs for commands used by GUI and then compare with yours.

watsons
Level 6

-t 13 is required in your case, and just to be sure (since you're restoring to alternate host), do you have this touch file in your master server?

\netbackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions

Another check, would it work if you use copy1 to restore?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

K...i'm missing something here...

Bplist -B -C srvycusr04.westjet.priv -t 13 -I -s 09/11/2013 C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson\

I get 227 - No entity found

However, I can go into the BAR GUI and grab the files without a problem....

Marianne, you said to enable the logging, is that on the client? Do I need to restart the service once the folders are created?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It is worth checking the case!! Drives me mad too but the file path, even on Windows with a Windows Master is case sensitive!

So C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson\ needs every character to be in the correct case

Hope this helps

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Isn't that the -I? Either way, the path is a caopy / paste from the actual server so the case should be accurate.

Stumpr2
Level 6

for bplist:

start at the basics and determine the servername used for images by checking the master servers directory /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images for the exact name being used for the images

check -R 5 for the file named /

drop the -s date

get past the no entity found and then build more complex command.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ah that is an I (eye) not an L - sorry - looked like an l not an I on here!

That should be OK then - maybe the client name or a wider date range?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

So I have the bplist working with the correct output....still can't get bprestore to work....

Stumpr2
Level 6

Good. now for bprestore start with a simple restore and then progress complexity

bprestore -C $clientname -t 13 $filename

then add additional items to bprestore command

bprestore -C $clientname -t 13 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt
where the TestRestoreFile.txt contains the file from previous bprestore command

bprestore -L D:\UserRestore.txt -C $clientname -t 13 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt

bprestore -L D:\UserRestore.txt -C $clientname -t 13 -copy 2 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt

bprestore -L D:\UserRestore.txt -R D:\Rename.txt -C $clientname -t 13 -copy 2 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt
where D:\Rename.txt contains a line for every file:
change $file1 $file1.newname

etc, etc, etc.

Marianne
Level 6

Please show us the bplist command that is working and the bprestore that is not.

We should be able to help you figure it out.

PS:
About the log folder question - they should be created wherever you are using the GUI sucessfully.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Sorry...was on a brief vacation...I will test this morning and update everyone.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Hey Stumpr...even the first test gives me a 2808 error, and this is running from the Master server.

bprestore -C srvycusr04 -t 13 C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson\DataDomain\

Marianne, on the same master server, here is the bplist command I used.

Bplist -B -C srvycusr04 -t 13 -I C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson\DataDomain

This is the output from bplist:

C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\DGiberson\DataDomain\

It doesn't show the two files listed in the directory though.

Thoughts?

Stumpr2
Level 6

create file called D:\TestRestoreFile.txt with this single line:
C:\Data\Users\UDS01\DATA\Dgiberson\DataDomain\

then run

bprestore -C $clientname -t 13 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Tried that before....I get the same 2808 error. Here are the bprestore log entries.

10:33:08.311 [6836.4700] <2> logparams: -B -L D:\Restorelog.txt -C srvycusr04 -t 13 -f D:\TestRestoreFile.txt
10:33:08.311 [6836.4700] <2> OV_SendProcessInfo2BPCD: Information - thread access token does not exist
10:33:08.311 [6836.4700] <2> OV_SendProcessInfo2BPCD: Information - About to write 7722 bytes to named pipe
10:33:08.639 [6836.4700] <2> OV_SendProcessInfo2BPCD: Information - successfully wrote information to named pipe
10:33:08.639 [6836.4700] <2> logconnections: BPRD CONNECT FROM 10.246.123.110.38837 TO 10.246.123.110.13720 fd = 388
10:33:08.639 [6836.4700] <8> vnet_check_vxss_client_magic_with_info: [vnet_vxss_helper.c:871] Ignoring VxSS authentication 2 0x2
10:33:08.920 [6836.4700] <2> bprestore: (utf8_client_type) before MultiByteToWideChar >/C/Data/Users/UDS01/DATA/Dgiberson/DataDomain/<
10:33:08.920 [6836.4700] <2> bprestore: after  OVNameUnicode2UTF >/C/Data/Users/UDS01/DATA/Dgiberson/DataDomain/<