cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restore if I am missing a tape?

OpsAnalyst
Level 4

We have an urgent request for a restore from a backup that was performed in 2006.  The images haven't yet expired, but we cannot locate the tape.  We think it may have been damaged and discarded.  The data we need is archive data and is only available on this tape.  Is there anyway to restore the images from the catalog without having the tape?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No - the data resides on the media - not in the catalog.  All we retain in the catalog is the metadata about the files.

Not a fun situation.

*** It would be nice if we could develop restore by osmosis.

Sorry,

Deb

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

No - the data resides on the media - not in the catalog.  All we retain in the catalog is the metadata about the files.

Not a fun situation.

*** It would be nice if we could develop restore by osmosis.

Sorry,

Deb

OpsAnalyst
Level 4

Thanks, Deb! I thought that was the case, but I was holding out a smidgeon of hope. Oh well! I appreciate your response.

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6

Never hurts to ask an opinion.   Hopefully this turns out ok for your user who needs the data.

Deb

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

FYI:

Always keep a record of discarded media - I uses a Excel sheet with barcode, date, reason and who discarded the tape.

If you have "holes" in the barcode series the record should assist you if tape are discarded, misplaced or even stolen.