cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Can NBU supports non VxFS volume and enable Snapshot function

yoyohimhim
Level 3
          We are doing several projects about NBU 6.5.5 aganist IBM SVC. But now we have some problems during configuration.
          I'd appreciate it if you can help us.
          Thanks.

Questin 1:
         Can NBU supports non VxFS volume and enable Snapshot function in our testbed?

" Disk"  is selected as storage unit. 
         We select "auto" method for "Snapshot client option", and actually seems "VXFS_checkpoint" is choosen by default. If using VxFS filesystem volume, Snapshot Client function can be enabled without error.  But error "Snapshot could not be created with xx method" will be prompted if using other filesystem or other "Snapshot client option" method. 

NBU:6.5.5
Take Linux as an example. Here are the steps:
(On Linux)
1. Install NB_65_LinuxR_x86_20070723, NB_65_CLIENTS2_20070723 and SnapShot Client(NB_65_UOptions_20070723) on one RHEL5 server.
2. Update all software from version 6.5 to 6.5.5.
3. Assign 2 disks from storage and configured them by DMMP. (In Solaris, use Solaris default multipath tool)
4. Mount these two disks.
/dev/mapper/mpath1p1 on /mnt/p1 type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/mpath2p1 on /mnt/p2 type ext3 (rw)
5. Create Storage Unit. Use mpath2 as storage unit.
6. Create policy.
Policy Type: Standard
Policy Storage: mpath2
Enable Snapshot Client function by choosing "Perform Snapshot Backups".
Snapshot Client Options: auto
Backup Selections: /mnt/p2
7. Clicking "OK" button.
   After "Validating Snapshot Client Configuration", error message "Snapshot could not be created with auto method" was prompted. (The same result if using other method)
8. If using Vxvm to manager disks and make filesystem as VxFS, Snapshot Client function can be enabled by chossing "auto" as "Snapshot Client Options" without error.

Question 2:
    On HP-UX 11.31, "Snapshot Client" function can't be enabled even using VxFS volume(It can be enabled on HP-UX 11.23). Same error "Snapshot could not be created with xx method" is prompted.
    VXVM: 5.0
    No error when installing NBU and VXVM.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Agree with Nicolai.
Link to Snapshot Client Compatibility list:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279042.pdf

Hardware snapshots can be done, but you need to check the compatibility and admin guides.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Agree with Nicolai.
Link to Snapshot Client Compatibility list:
ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/279042.pdf

Hardware snapshots can be done, but you need to check the compatibility and admin guides.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Before doing any snapshot configuration, always check if the configuration is supported.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279042.htm

This is likely the problem :

14:03:44.507 [1517] <32> onlfi_freeze_fim_fs: FTL - snapshot services: snapshot method analysis failed: no combos generated: stack elements not capable of any split or quiesce.

Netbackup can find any devices that can do "split".

If you are using VXVM, you must create the first break off mirror. See the

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide

Page 112.

Snapshot client is not a walk in park to configure. Read the snapshot admin guide closely.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Those links causes me trouble, in the editing window  they look all right. But hitting the save bottom remove the link angry

yoyohimhim
Level 3
I've checked Snapshot Client Compatibility list and read the snapshot client administartor doc. Seems on Linux, just VxFS/VXVM can be supported. Thanks Nicolai and Marianne. You helped me a lot. Thanks.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Storage Foundation (VXFS & VXVM ) exist for Linux as well. It free to try with "Storage Foundation Basic" and work very good (I am using SF on Linux for disk based backups). The Storage Foundation Basic suite allow you to use 4 volumes. This way you can test split mirror on Netbackup as well.

Happy testing :)

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/it-just-me-0

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!