cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a 'Last Day' schedule take priority over a 'Daily' schedule within a policy, so only the Last Day backup runs?

cmhnz
Level 3
Hi,

The schedules in our policies are set as follows:

Daily: each night Saturday to Thursday, 6 day retention
Weekly: every Friday night, 28 day retention
Monthly: last day of every month, infinity retention

When the last day of the month (Monthly backup) rolls around, we want this schedule to run and not the Daily or Weekly schedule for that policy - is it possible to set this other than using Exclude Dates?

The schedules have different Retentions set which is why this is important, as we need to keep Monthly backups indefinitely, and Weekly backups for 4 weeks.

NB 6.5.4

Thanks,

Chris
6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
if 2 schedules are due to run in the same window, that with the longest retention, or longest period since last run, will always get priority.

So, all things being equal, if your daily & weekly jobs fall on the same day & same window then the weekly will run, daily & monthly it should be the monthly that gets priority and for all three it should, again, be the monthly schedule that wins out.

***EDIT***

Maybe worth searching the forum as similar threads have been covered from time to time. Plus,

there's a 'small' T/N briefly discussing this: Calendar-based scheduling does not use the same prioritization rules as frequency-based scheduling.

& a Random Links article pointed to by Tim Burlowski about "Frequency Based Backups" that you may find interesting.

cmhnz
Level 3
We're still configuring the system, and ran a handful of jobs last night split between 2 policies.  The Daily schedule kicked off first, followed by the Monthly schedule meaning both schedules ran.

Your theory was echoed by a consultant we have in, but since this wasn't the case last night, I thought I'd post to a forum.

What we don't want to happen is for the schedule with the longest retention period to run, then for the schedule with the shorter retention period to run after - assuming there is time left in the backup window.

I will do some more testing tonight, but I feel we might not be 100% sure it's working as you and our consultant suggest until we've got the policies completely setup and running.

Thanks for your input.

Chris

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
There is a way of setting the max jobs per policy, I'll try to find it up, for example.. set the month policy to run 5 minutes before the other ones, if the policy is running the daily one will not run,

I hope it help you..

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
and it hasn't run any jobs & so has run all available schedules? Especially true as it was the last day of the month yesterday (well it was for us anyway!)

I would imagine that it will 'settle down' from now on.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
(I presume you are using the up-to-date software? ;) )

DOCUMENTATION: How NetBackup calculates frequency based schedules

& a slightly older one:

DOCUMENTATION: Additional information regarding frequency and calendar based scheduling. An item of ...

They tend to cover the same sort of thing, hopefully they will clarify what's going on.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
did the second job that run start after midnight?

If you're running 6.5.2 then the following may apply:

DOCUMENTATION: The behavior of backups with a calendar schedule changes in 6.5.2 / 6.5.2A when the b...

***EDIT***
Sorry, just re-read your OP & you're at 6.5.4.