Hanzo581
Level 4

Redacted

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

25 REPLIES 25

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

3 way goes over the network - that is what i was saying previously ... as the duplicated copy was doen by your master server (or a media server) it is that server that owns the tapes / backup and so when you come to do a restore the server that wrote the tapes will want to do the restore.

The the original post that is shown as being the master server that is mounting the tape

Unless you can change ownership of the images back to the filer then any restores will have to pass over the network

Hanzo581
Level 4

I can't see a way to change the ownership of the tape to the filer since the filer is not a media server, I tried to force it with bpimage -newserver -oldserver -id but that did not work.  Got a different effor when I went to restore.

13:40:15 3/14/2014: Restore Started

13:40:17 (30340.xxx) Media id FC5706 is needed for the restore.

13:40:17 (30340.001) Restoring from copy 2 of image created 3/13/2014 2:30:04 AM
13:41:08 (30340.001) Status of restore from copy 2 of image created 3/13/2014 2:30:04 AM = cannot connect to server backup restore manager

13:41:08 (30340.001) The following files/folders were not restored:
13:41:08 (30340.001) UTF - /vol/vol0/etc/cifssec.bak

13:41:09 (30340.xxx) INF - Status = NDMP policy restore error.

Hanzo581
Level 4

Ok, this has been resolved, turned out it had nothing to do with Netbackup...the internal firewall on the DXi8500 was blocking traffic only when physical NDMP tapes were involved.  Once the firewall was turned off all works fine.

Thanks for your time.

Will_Restore
Level 6

mnolan suggested as much in his post above

Please have this range looked at by the network team to see if there is a firewall that is not currenlty configured to allow this data connection.

Hanzo581
Level 4

Firewall check yes, but it wasn't media server, master or the filer or networking related it was the DXi.  Even Quantum admitted it is a very rare problem and they almost never have to disable the internal firewall.  So when we were checking we looked at everything but the DXi.

But thanks to mnolan it at least made us start questioning Quantum.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Right, the assumption I was making was that the filer was connecting back to the media server to make this connection. The ndmpd log on the filer would more than likely clear this up in most cases, to show where the actual data connection was trying to go.