cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send mail to external domain through blat configured in netbackup 7.0.1

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

We have Netbackup 7.0.1 configured on windows 2003 ent sp2. with blat for mail notification.

Whenever i specify external domain id for mail notification we don't receive any of alerts  but for local domain we do receive. Is there limitations with blat for sending mails to external domain.

how can i achieve this any idea ???

19 REPLIES 19

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

you need to check by blat test email...

Test the installation of blat by creating a text file C:\testfile.txt with a message and emailing it to the NetBackup administrator.

% blat C:\testfile.txt -s test_subject -to useraccount@company.com

If blat is working correctly, the NetBackup administrator should receive the contents of the C:\testfile.txt file.

there is no any limitation in BLAT. it will just communicate with your SMPT server...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24513

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24110

a_la_carte
Level 5

Even I am facing the same issue sending emails to external domain. Internal domain works perfectly fine.

And I can even forward emails from the internal company id to external email id. But Blat doesn't seem to be working directly with external email id.

Even if there is some restriction from SMTP server not forwarding emails directly to external mail id , then I should not be able to forward emails from internal id to my extrenal ID also

Dunno where is the issue..!!!

Lee_C
Level 5

There is no restriction that Netbackup makes regarding sending to external domains.  Your mail infrastructure probably only allows specific hosts to send externally, and hence this would prevents the Netbackup server sending externally. 

You need to speak to your mail administrators.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Have you defined the "from address" and "sender"  ?

If's the -i and -f option for blat. Most mail gatewyas require both options to be set before allowing the mail to be transfered to internet domains.

blat -t someone@acme.com -s "test" -i nbadmin@acme.com -f "nbadmin@acme.com" -q -server mail.acme.com -body "test body"

-t to

-i from address

-s subject

-f sender

-q supress output

-b "body message"

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Please, make sure the NBU server (win 2003) is a 23bit server.

Blat do not works in 64bit system.

NBU have better tools named symantec OPS Center (Previously it was NOM), where you can configure mail setting very easily (GUI Interface),

And

the wanderful part is that it comes free with symantec NBU 7.

You can install it seperatly to any server or in the same master/media server.

Please, find the guide in thebelow link:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135532

Thanks.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi mrinal

Thanx for highlighting blat limitation with OS architecture. However I overheard that for allowing nbu to send notification outside the domain would require relay to be created or NBU server ip needs to be whitelisted in exchange.

Any idea....

OPs Center is anyhow lovely reporting tool i've come across..... But it's good as seperate... if combined with NBU master/media server .. i believe there would be performance issues... (Not pretty sure, may be wrong).

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Where is the path directory of nbmail.cmd ?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

C:\prog files\veritas\netbackup\bin\  nbmail.cmd

Lee_C
Level 5

We have Blat sucessfully running on Win2k8 x64...

As previously mentioned you need to check your mail infrastructure will allow this host to send externally.  If Blat is pointing to your exchange server, then that's the best place to look.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

HI Lee

As previously mentioned you need to check your mail infrastructure will allow this host to send externally. If Blat is pointing to your exchange server

Can you please clarify this. I believe you are saying the same what i presumed in previous post. Relay ???or whitelisting the NBU server ip .

Lee_C
Level 5

Yes, check the relaying, and add the master server.  If you post the version of Exchange you are using, someone may point you in the right direction.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It's exchange 2010 with sp1.

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

Mr. Yogesh,

i know that, Thats the default path of nbmail. I just try to confirm. hehe

Dear Mr. vaibhavpanchal,

Try to copy your nbmail.cmd to C:\programfiles\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\ and the re-run your backup job.

Thanks,

Falti Manullang

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Falti 

Thanx to all who commented...

I got this done by relaying the NBU master server. As we have now opscenter in hand . we are planning to roll out the same for reporting.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

Blat or for that matter any tool which generates mails without authenticating to SMTP relay server need to have anonymous relay configured for sending mail.

If you do not have enabled anonymous relay for mail generating host, then SMTP relay server will drop the mails.

Also if you are using NBU version 7.x, then I strongly recommend using OpsCenter. This is free tool and can give you nice graphical reports. You can configure mail alerts from this tool.

Hope this helps...

emret
Level 6
Partner Accredited

exchange relay options

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just on another point ...

Apart from blat being present you do need to have it installed and there are two ways that work

The simple one is blat -install <exchangeserver> <userid>

That is usually enough for internal mail to work but wont allow relay

It may help to use the full installation method to make sure authentication works:

blat -install <exchangeserver> <userid> -u <username> -p <password>

This all depends on theversion of blat used and some have slightly different ways of handling this as you can also embed the username and password into the blat profile

Hopefully this may also help with your errors

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

give me download link of blat on x64 environment.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Doesn't seem to be BLAT having x64 binaries. It is only win32