cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking for failed System State / Shadow Copy Components

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

I'm curious how people are checking their backups for good system state / shadow copy component backups when using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive without multiple streams...

I currently have a separate policy for all my windows servers that backs up just the system state.. this helps me to easily identify problematic clients.

I'm wondering if it would be better to create a script to check the logs when windows clients exit with status 1.

Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

sends me a report of all return codes for the backups ( you can also use nom or opscenter)

because my backups start prior to midnight and the report runs the next morning I create the rptdate to show what day the backups refer to.

rptdate=`cat /opt/openv/scripts/temp/date4dlyrpt`

mydate=`date +%w`

if [ $mydate == 1 ]

then

h=64

else

h=16

fi

installdir/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -U -backstat -hoursago $h -by_statcode

> installdir/scripts/temp/bksum.txt

mail -s " Daily Backup Summary for $rptdate" someonewhocares@mydomain.com < installdir/scripts/temp/bksum.txt

date '+%a %b %d %Y' > installdir/scripts/temp/date4dlyrpt

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of a script to actually parse through my logs to find out if there were any errors related to backing up the system state on clients that exited with a status 1. 

Somtimes when clients exit with status 1 it's not due to a failed system state backup.

Indjev
Level 4

If you can generate a report that shows you all FS jobs completed with status 1 that have the words "system state" in their log files you can generate a daily report about them.

Currently I have the same issue, but don't want to create different policies for a system state.