cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Upgrade fails on Solaris 10

Kai2209
Level 4

Hi,

after upgrading to NetBackup 8 last year i plan to upgrade to 8.12. since my clietns are still 7.1 i have to upgrade them also. This was pretty easy for almost all except one Solaris 10 Server.

When i start the install script it is cancelled with following error.

ERROR:   These Unix Clients are intended for a NetBackup 8.0 server.
         7.1 is the NetBackup level currently installed.
         Installation Aborted.

I was searching for this error and found out in Article: 100033975 that the installation detected a server installation of netbackup. This installation should be uninstalled and client re-installed. Do i have to remove just "SYMCnetbp" package or all of them und re-install the new client?

root@ddb1:/usr/openv/netbackup # pkginfo |grep -i netbackup

application SYMCnbclt                        NetBackup Client
application SYMCnbjava                       NetBackup Java Console
application SYMCnbjre                        NetBackup Java JRE
application SYMCnetbp                        NetBackup and Media Manager

thanks for help

Kai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Okay - seems you have edited your post while I was answering... 

It should be okay to just remove SYMCnetbp. 

If you still have errors after that, remove everything and perform clean Client install.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

Please tell us how exactly you are doing the upgrade -
are you pushing upgrade from the master or trying the upgrade directly on the client? 
Is the client Solaris SPARC or x86?

Is there a detailed upgrade/installation log available?

Marianne

Okay - seems you have edited your post while I was answering... 

It should be okay to just remove SYMCnetbp. 

If you still have errors after that, remove everything and perform clean Client install.

sorry Marianne,

a minute after my post i have seen that the client package is also installed on all servers and the package  "SYMCnetbp" is the one i was looking for.

So i just uninstalled "SYMCnetbp" and re-installed the new client. The running script uninstalled everything else and re-installed it. It was running very well :)

I just have one question left...

Another server did the upgrade of the client without any issues. But it shows me on the console th Host type as a Media Server. Is this possible with just the client software installed?  

Marianne

@Kai2209 wrote:

I just have one question left...

Another server did the upgrade of the client without any issues. But it shows me on the console th Host type as a Media Server. Is this possible with just the client software installed?  

You need to double-check the following: 

SERVER entries on Master Server Host Properties - I guess the client was added here as Nedia Server or Additional Server. 
This used to be done when the Windows Admin Console was installed on a Windows client, or when a client needed to kick off a scheduled backup from a script or cmd with 'bpbbackup -i .....'.

Check if any Devices or Storage Unit is configured for the client (I guess not, you would've known?).
If you are confident that the Client is not a functioning media server, and no server-level access is needed by the client, then remove the SERVER entry on the master. 

ok. fixed it. 

Thank you so much for your help !!!