cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Upgrade fails on Solaris 10

Kai2209
Level 4

Hi,

after upgrading to NetBackup 8 last year i plan to upgrade to 8.12. since my clietns are still 7.1 i have to upgrade them also. This was pretty easy for almost all except one Solaris 10 Server.

When i start the install script it is cancelled with following error.

ERROR:   These Unix Clients are intended for a NetBackup 8.0 server.
         7.1 is the NetBackup level currently installed.
         Installation Aborted.

I was searching for this error and found out in Article: 100033975 that the installation detected a server installation of netbackup. This installation should be uninstalled and client re-installed. Do i have to remove just "SYMCnetbp" package or all of them und re-install the new client?

root@ddb1:/usr/openv/netbackup # pkginfo |grep -i netbackup

application SYMCnbclt                        NetBackup Client
application SYMCnbjava                       NetBackup Java Console
application SYMCnbjre                        NetBackup Java JRE
application SYMCnetbp                        NetBackup and Media Manager

thanks for help

Kai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Okay - seems you have edited your post while I was answering... 

It should be okay to just remove SYMCnetbp. 

If you still have errors after that, remove everything and perform clean Client install.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

Please tell us how exactly you are doing the upgrade -
are you pushing upgrade from the master or trying the upgrade directly on the client? 
Is the client Solaris SPARC or x86?

Is there a detailed upgrade/installation log available?

Marianne

Okay - seems you have edited your post while I was answering... 

It should be okay to just remove SYMCnetbp. 

If you still have errors after that, remove everything and perform clean Client install.

View solution in original post

sorry Marianne,

a minute after my post i have seen that the client package is also installed on all servers and the package  "SYMCnetbp" is the one i was looking for.

So i just uninstalled "SYMCnetbp" and re-installed the new client. The running script uninstalled everything else and re-installed it. It was running very well :)

I just have one question left...

Another server did the upgrade of the client without any issues. But it shows me on the console th Host type as a Media Server. Is this possible with just the client software installed?  

Marianne

@Kai2209 wrote:

I just have one question left...

Another server did the upgrade of the client without any issues. But it shows me on the console th Host type as a Media Server. Is this possible with just the client software installed?  

You need to double-check the following: 

SERVER entries on Master Server Host Properties - I guess the client was added here as Nedia Server or Additional Server. 
This used to be done when the Windows Admin Console was installed on a Windows client, or when a client needed to kick off a scheduled backup from a script or cmd with 'bpbbackup -i .....'.

Check if any Devices or Storage Unit is configured for the client (I guess not, you would've known?).
If you are confident that the Client is not a functioning media server, and no server-level access is needed by the client, then remove the SERVER entry on the master. 

ok. fixed it. 

Thank you so much for your help !!!