Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Master server as a media server

dinesh_new
Level 3

Hi All,

I have to setup a new netbackup env. using NBU6.5

I have one Linux server that will be used as a master server, EMM server and will be used as a media server as well.

Could you please advise if media server software also needs to be installed on the server after installing master server software on the server.

Is media server binaries included in master server software as well and installing only master server software would work?

Kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

Holowinski
Level 3
Certified
If you have a Master server up then you don't need to install anything else to make it a media server.  You will need to setup storage units to actually use it like a media server.

dinesh_new
Level 3

Thanks for the reply Holowinski.

However i have a query, are media server daemons will be avaliable on the master server without installing media server software.

Holowinski
Level 3
Certified
The install for a master and the media are the same, so yes the files are there. 

Check out the install guide, it should get you started on the right track:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290199.htm

dinesh_new
Level 3
Thanks Holowinski,

I have one other query also. I will have to perform RMAN backups of the Oracle databases. Is there any agent that needs to be installed on the master server to support RMAN backups?

ayodeji
Level 6
Certified

i dont know of any agent that needs to be installed on the master server to perform RMAN backups

dinesh_new
Level 3
Also, is PBX (Private Branch Exchange) package is necessary to install on the master server? What if i skip its installation on the server.

dinesh_new
Level 3
Also, is PBX (Private Branch Exchange) package is necessary to install on the master server? What if i skip its installation on the server.

Holowinski
Level 3
Certified
You would need to do the PBX install first, though I don't know for sure if it is included as part of the normal install.  According to the install guide if you need to do a separate install it will prompt you.

Like ayodeji said, you do not need anything special installed on the master server to do Oracle RMAN backups.  You will need a license to enable the policy type though and he agent needs to be installed on the client.

dinesh_new
Level 3
Hi Holowinski,

Is installation of PBX is a mandatory requirement for NBU6.5.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Notes for Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306215.htm

Additionally for clients:
DOCUMENTATION: Does Private Branch Exchange (PBX) need to be enabled on all NetBackup 6.5.x Windows clients?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/306419.htm

Christoph_Linde
Level 5
Employee
Hi,

you should perhaps book a training in your country. And I also suggest reading at least the NetBackup installation guide.

You have to install PBX and if you install from DVD it is on the same DVD. Installing from CD, you need a second CD for installation.

If you do not install PBX, Netbackup simply will not work. Not at all. PBX is required on every NetBackup server.

Okay to you last question:

You do not need to install the database agents on the master server, nor on any media server. But if you want to remoteinstall the agents on unix clients, you should install them (with remote method) and then push them with update_db_clients command.

Also read the oracle admin guide for further information on installing the agent software and the various requirements.