cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Master Server (Solaris 10) to Client (ESX Server)

bolasutra
Level 3
Hi to all,

I have this issue which has been bugging me for close to a month. I really need help.

My objective is to connect my existing Master Server (running on Solaris 10) to my new client (running on ESX Server 4.0).

The things that I have done:

1) I have installed nbu 6.5 Linux Client into my ESX Server 4.0. Then, followed by NB_CLT_6.5.3.tar. My master server is running on NBU 6.5.3. I just need to backup the files in the ESX Server only.

2) I disabled my firewall at ESX Server.

3) I am able to telnet both sides (Master server and client) at port 13724

4) When I try to connect to the ESX Server via the GUI of the master server, I got error code:24 "socket write failed".

5) I have verified with Symantec that my daemons are running in my ESX Server.

Have I missed out something here? Any gurus here?

Regards,
Bolasutra
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Notes:
ESX Server version 4 is not mentioned in the recent OS Compatibility matrix
ESX Server version 3 is mentioned and client selection should be Linux, RedHat 2.4

You could ask yourself however, to backup ESX OS yes or no.
It only takes less than 20 mins to deploy from CD.
I believe vSphere has host profiles which enhances the ability to perform deployment of ESX Servers and custommization.

Is it worth the effort.
http://vmetc.com/2008/10/11/how-to-backup-vmware-esx-servers/

bolasutra
Level 3

Hi Stuart,

A backup of the files in the ESX Server is suffiicent.

I just couldn't connect the ESX Server 4.0 from my client. I have been following up with Symantec support and I still unable to resolve the issue of connectivity from master server and the client (esx server).

Any advice?

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
maybe firewall somewhere between or host-based?

bolasutra
Level 3
Hi Mouse,

I have open port 13724 between Master Server and Client ESX4.o Server in my external firewall.

I am have also able to telnet between them at port 13724.

Is there any configurations that I have do to ESX Server?

Regards,
Bolasutra

Will_Restore
Level 6

(veritas_pbx)

should also be open bi-directional

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
bptestbpcd -client <client_name> -debug -verbose

bolasutra
Level 3
Hi,

From my master server:
bptestbpcd -client ESXclient -debug -verbose
bptestbpcd: not found

telnet ESXclient 13782 (not ok)

I have checked the hardware firewall and the traffic is accepted. The firewall at ESXclient is disabled.

On my ESX client:
telnet NBUMaster 13782 (ok)
telnet localhost 13782 (ok)
netstat -an | grep 13782 (listening)

Mmm... Could it be something to do with telnet 13782?

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
By default 6.x version users vnetd, 13724/tcp, for any netowrk based communication between master and client. As long as you have default configuration you do not need to open any other port. Few things to look at -

- what 's the storage unit defined in policy and if client has access to the storage unit? Basically, if your storage unit is tied to a media server, you need to have that media server in bp.conf file of client as SERVER = "media server". You must have port 13724 open between client and the media server.
- Though error message does not indicate this issue but you may want to look at. In your client's bp.conf file first server should be your master server.
- Look at the policy type, it should be set to standard and make sure OS type for client is set appropriately.

bptestbpcd is under /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd

bolasutra
Level 3
Issue solved..

It was a DNS issue. Both the master server and the ESX Server are in different domains. I added a host entry (Master Server) at /etc/hosts in the ESX Server.